Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Exact length of an '87 drive axle needed..

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Exact length of an '87 drive axle needed.. by Doni Hagan
Started on: 09-18-2013 02:55 PM
Replies: 3 (126 views)
Last post by: Doni Hagan on 09-18-2013 05:46 PM
Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The passenger side CV/drive axle on my "87 GT (auto tranny) is dying and I need to swap it out. I was going through my parts stash and found an axle shaft in A1 condition that I must've picked up at one point or another but I'm not certain it's for this car or one of the other Fieros I've had over the years. Before I snatch the bad one off, I need to know if this is the right one. If not, I'll get a correct replacement one before I start the work.

If anyone has a "passenger side CV/drive axle" for a 1987 GT (auto) lying around, could you measure it from end-to-end and post the numbers?
I guess an accompanying pic wouldn't hurt as well, if possible. I'd hate to get the rear end taken apart in my driveway just to discover I need to order an axle.

Thanks in advance, guys!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That data is posted in spec on autozone.com etc.

Spec is overall length w/ axle compress on tripod.
Auto
P side, 27 1/16 in, 687.4 mm
D side, 21 in, 526 mm

Man
P side, 38 15/16 in, 989 mm
D side, 22 5/8 in, 575 mm
Source: AutoZone

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Ogre.....

I should've known YOU'D know! Best wishes, guy!
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doni Hagan

8242 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Well, of the four lengths available, the 27" is the correct one and that's what I've got....minus a couple inches of thread on the end. I must have pulled it off a parts car or grabbed it at a U-Pull lot at some point or another. I honestly don't remember.

Anyway, thanks again!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock