Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Clutchnet Clutch Releases, then grabbs again?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Clutchnet Clutch Releases, then grabbs again? by Slowbuild
Started on: 09-17-2013 01:58 AM
Replies: 11 (198 views)
Last post by: Slowbuild on 09-18-2013 05:26 PM
Slowbuild

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all. I installed a 6puck Clutchnet behind my 4 speed Muncie with the original pressure plate and throw out bearing.

As I press the clutch pedal, the clutch releases at about 1/2 travel, then catches again near the end of travel. I suspect the fingers of the diaphram spring on the pressure plate are making contact with the clutch in some way. This is not a hydraulic issue. I have 1" of extension from the slave, and it is very repeatable.

Anyone experienced something similar before??

The sucker does grab when it comes in, that's for sure!!!!

Chay

[This message has been edited by Slowbuild (edited 09-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine does that, too. The simple solution is to not push the pedal all the way, because it over-extends the clutch.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another solution is to get a shorter pushrod on the slave cylinder.
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so it's not that unusual.

It was suggested by another member to make an adjustable pushrod...I think I'm going that route.

Chay
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slowbuild:

It was suggested by another member to make an adjustable pushrod...I think I'm going that route.

Chay, I suggested making an adjustable banjo.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-17-2013).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a shorter pushrod the piston will simply compensate by moving further out in the bore. There will be no affect until the piston hits the end of it's travel. If you want to fix the problem you need to limit the travel of the master in some way. Larry
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

If you want to fix the problem you need to limit the travel of the master in some way.

The floor limits its travel quite effectively.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suggested making an adjustable banjo.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-17-2013).]

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note, I have the exact same setup in my 86 GT (6 puck sprung center and stock pressure plate), it does work really well, I would recommend this to anyone doing a new clutch in a stock to moderately modified engine. Larry
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does work, as Patrick suggests it bottom out on the floor.

It's complete and the problem is solved by reducing the banjo length by 1/2-3/4". I made it adjustabole as suggested by chopping about 3/4" out of the bajo, then threading the pieces with a 5/16 die, and using a threaded coupler and a jam nut to set the length.

Now on to my crappy brakes!

Chay
Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I solved that problem on my car by putting a spacer on the support rail above the clutch pedal. Shortens up the pedal travel.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Another solution is to get a shorter pushrod on the slave cylinder.

Do not do this.

If you limit the slave cylinder travel by using a shorter pushrod, you're limiting the travel by using the piston retaining clip as a stop. You will eventually break your slave cylinder by cracking off the portion ahead of the retaining clip groove. You will not be very happy after this happens.

The correct solution is to limit travel at the master cylinder, as described above.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 09-18-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ Agree. Also, with a shorter pushrod at the slave you will likely get the slave piston into an area which is corroded because it is exposed (ok, behind a rubber dust seal, but mostly exposed) and therfore have air enter. I have thought about a longer pushrod to get a slightly rusty slave back into the hole a bit more and hopefully seal. I might try it one day if the slave starts picking up air.

Not to mention it won't work...the master determines the travel of the slave.
Chay

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock