Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Techniques for changing the Fiero body style(Prototyping)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Techniques for changing the Fiero body style(Prototyping) by hcforde
Started on: 09-16-2013 06:45 PM
Replies: 3 (254 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 09-17-2013 09:45 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to build up a couple of custom Fiero's. I have a few ideas I want to tryout on a spare Fiero body before I settle on the final renditions. Is there any type of material I can use to add dimension to a body part that can be easily sanded and formed, or even entirely removed if I want to go in a different direction? Does anyone know of any material that could be used? I was thinking expanding foam but I am not aware of its ability to be layered, shaped by knife or sandpaper, or its ability to stick to the surface of the car. Has anyone used expanding foam for this purpose? Also once I decide on a shape I would like to drape fiberglass over it so I am looking for something light.

Any ideas and insight is appreciated.

EDIT:As I am researching this, it seems that the dust from expanding foam can be toxic to your lungs. It can also be transmittted to others from your clothing. Sanding may not be such a good idea unless there is some non-toxic foam. What I am reading came from a few years ago.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 09-16-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done several projects using foam. I have always used sheet foam and then sanded it to shape with coarse sandpaper or a Stanley Sureform rasp with the curved blade. If you search, you will see where others have used expanding foam, either from a can or the two part products made by several manufacturers. I have not had toxic reactions to the dust, but a mask is always a good idea. My mini wide body car has a couple examples of flat foam being shaped and then glassed. The rear spoiler was rough cut, then glued to the body with Gorilla Glue- then shaped and epoxy fiberglassed to the body. Seems solid as the rest of the rear hatch. If you use any foam but urethane (R-Max brand or similar), you will need to use epoxy resin so the foam doesn't melt. If you use urethane foams, then the polyester resin works fine and is less expensive but not as strong and doesn't have the adhesive qualities of epoxy. Good luck on your project.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091046.html
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See this thread about the use of foam. This is the proper type to use.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000138.html
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I just read your post here, will check out the links you gave. MUCH appreciated!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock