Car acting up, any guess? by Phirewire
Started on: 09-15-2013 11:08 PM
Replies: 4 (107 views)
Last post by: jhgraham on 09-16-2013 09:28 AM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireClick Here to Email PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I have a 86 v6 auto. It was running fine, put gas in drove 5 miles parked. Later that night went to get food was fine, leaving food place the exit has a bit of height to it so it was about a 2 inch drop. kinda heard a bang didn't worry. At the stop light ahead I noticed the car was vibrating a bit harsh. While taking the girlfriend home, I noticed a loss of power about 10 minutes down the road, intense shaking and the noise was way of key.

I stopped at walmart grabbed some more oil, and some octane booster. but That wouldn't have made a huge difference instantly drove last half hour home but had no improvment. When I put it in park it ran normal. Odd, threw it in reverse and drive again and shook like crazy. Had girlfriend try it while I looked at engine, I noticed something interesting. Park engine sits normal, any other gear you see it slam up almost tilting but it sits realitvly still while in gear just a giant jump from park to any gear.

I'm thinking either an issue with tranny, or a broken mount but would a bad mount effect power, and sound?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgClick Here to Email trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a broken moror mount, is the dog bone still attached? When it shifts over it may be shorting out a plug or two, and you could have broken the exhaust. Larry
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Click Here to Email FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a mount is loose or bad. As for the noise it may make one if it is loose enough. i wouldn't think it would effect performance but im not sure. Maybe someone else on here might have a better Idea.
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think maybe your motor mount was always bad, and you have crushed an exhaust pipe or knocked the stuffing out of the cat converter.

Chay
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageClick Here to Email jhgrahamSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would bet on the cat converter. Had the same problem on the 85. Parts were loose in the cat causing noise and power loss due to parts shifting inside cat and blocking exhaust path.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock