Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What would happen if I put a glasspack in place of my catalytic converter?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What would happen if I put a glasspack in place of my catalytic converter? by FieroGT-987
Started on: 09-11-2013 04:19 PM
Replies: 14 (4858 views)
Last post by: Silicoan86 on 09-12-2013 01:53 AM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have stock 2.8 with stock exhasut besides the straight pipe that is in place of my catalytic converter. What would happen, if anything, or what would it sound like if I kept my muffler on, but installed a glasspack, or maybe a different high flow muffler in place of the straight pipe where my catalytic converter used to be?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
samt

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Cherry Bomb glass pack on a 2.8 sounded better than the straight pipe that it replaced
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a thrush glasspack, should i put it in place of the straight pipe that is currently there? And keep my muffler on there? Would that be alright performance wise and not mess anything up? And would it sound a lil better than the straight pipe? Thanks!
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine was in place of the cat I kept the stock muffler...as I said it sounded better than the straight pipe...didn't seem to mess anything up? drove it for at least five years like that..as far as I know the car is still going..
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot! Was it a little but louder or was it deeper? Thanks i appreciate it
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not as loud as the straight pipe.....
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was different about the sound?
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroGT-987

120 posts
Member since Jun 2013
I want it a little louder or better tone. Could i put a loud mufflermin place of straight pipe, but keep my stock muffler also
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personaly I think the stock setup sounds better but everyone will have a differant thought as to what sounds good...with the glass pack it sounded kind of gravely/tinny.... hard to explain and we're talking two differant glass packs as well (I think) so you might get a differant sound from what I had....I would stick with the cat if its good...
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I recently acquired an '88 Formula which still has the original cat on it. It's probably dead/hollow. The engine runs just fine, but the exhaust stinks.

I'll be putting a new high-flow cat on. Even if we didn't have smog tests here I would put one on.

The exhaust will smell better. Air quality won't be compromised.

It'll probably even sound better.

Seems like a win/win situation to me.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you dont have smog testing, leave a cat off. I dont have it, so I leave them out of my exhausts. Im guessing a straight pipe is louder than a glass pack would be. One of my Corvettes only had a blown out cat with no mufflers at all. Wasnt much louder than stock to me. On Fieros that are crowded for space to start with, I like using baffled tips with/without glass packs. My V8 one had two small glass packs and baffle quad tips and I thought it sounded great. If your trying to get a certain sound, theres no way to get around trial and error to see what you like.
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If smog required replace the Cat, no and if's or buts - If not and replaced with a straight pipe it will "drone" and your ears will feel it in a very short time. To fix the drone a resonator or glass pack with smooth out the drone - You have your answer on the muffler in a couple of your other post.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would happen if I put a high flow loud muffler in place of my catalytic converter, but kept my stock muffler on? I think it would sound awesome. Thoughts?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

what would it sound like if I kept my muffler on, but installed a glasspack, or maybe a different high flow muffler in place of the straight pipe where my catalytic converter used to be?

What would happen if I put a high flow loud muffler in place of my catalytic converter, but kept my stock muffler on? I think it would sound awesome. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you've already decided what you wish to do.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-12-2013).]

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's going to be quieter than your current straight pipe setup.

A muffler is exactly that... a muffler. It's purpose is to muffle the sound. Even if it's a high flow muffler, it's going to muffle the sound at least a little.

Do not add a sound reducing device and expect the opposite effect.

If you want it louder, replace the stock muffler with a higher flowing unit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock