Started on: 09-11-2013 02:21 PM
Replies: 12 (418 views)
Last post by: raysr11 on 09-14-2013 02:10 AM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to mount my sons AC compressor back in his car. I have the long through bolt, that is at the top and closer to the middle of the car. I have the bolt at the bottom that slides through the bracket to tighten the belt, but the bolt that goes to the top pivot point I must be missing. I have a bolt that I thought was it, but it will not catch the threads. I'm thinking it's too big. Anyone have an idea what length and thread size that bolt is? I just might as well buy a new one.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a single long M10 bolt, 1.50mm pitch, 160mm long. Mcmaster has them for $8.62 for a pack of 5.

I think from the factory they use two short M10 bolts but this is much harder to install and remove. The single long bolt is very easy to remove. If you go this route consider getting the 180mm bolt - the 160mm works but only engages about half of the threads on the compressor.

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 09-11-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

I used a single long M10 bolt, 1.50mm pitch, 160mm long. Mcmaster has them for $8.62 for a pack of 5.

I think from the factory they use two short M10 bolts but this is much harder to install and remove. The single long bolt is very easy to remove. If you go this route consider getting the 180mm bolt - the 160mm works but only engages about half of the threads on the compressor.

There's no way. That's about 6 inches long. (I think) That' way too long. The one I'm talking about is on the belt side, top bolt. It can't be more than 2 inches, give or take a few. The bolt at the top on the starter side is probably this long, and I have that one.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Using thing picture, I'm talking about the top left bolt, not the top right. (picture courtesy dodgerunner)

Jim
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I meant. The factory uses two short bolts, one for each side, but this makes removal and installation really difficult when the compressor is installed because of the limited access. Instead, I opted to use the single long bolt that picks up both ears.

But the threads cut into the a/c compressor would still be M10-1.5.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's what I meant. The factory uses two short bolts, one for each side, but this makes removal and installation really difficult when the compressor is installed because of the limited access. Instead, I opted to use the single long bolt that picks up both ears.

OK, I understand what your saying now.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

OK, I understand what your saying now.

Jim

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So masospaghetti, should the whole thing be threaded or do you need to drill out the threads on one side? If you use two how long are they, 20, 30mm? Seems like two, pita though they may be, would be tighter.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The inner compressor ear is not threaded. The bolt shank will pass right through it. I guess they install a nut here from the factory?

You don't have to drill anything. The long bolt will pass right through the inner compressor ear and bracket and thread into the outer compressor ear. The whole thing will pivot, which is what you want (to allow adjustment for belt tightness).

I've been running it like this for a couple months now with no issues.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The inner compressor ear is not threaded. The bolt shank will pass right through it. I guess they install a nut here from the factory?

You don't have to drill anything. The long bolt will pass right through the inner compressor ear and bracket and thread into the outer compressor ear. The whole thing will pivot, which is what you want (to allow adjustment for belt tightness).

I've been running it like this for a couple months now with no issues.

That's exactly how it would work. A great idea Maso, but I could only find a bolt from Fastenal, and it cost $20 including shipping, so I just went with the M10 1.5 thread. It's all in there and good now. That bolt is a ***** to get in, and then even worse to tighten.

Jim

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
McMaster is a great vendor to deal with for bolts and other supplies, great prices compared to local stores and fast shipping.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

McMaster is a great vendor to deal with for bolts and other supplies, great prices compared to local stores and fast shipping.

I take it they are online? I had never heard of McMaster before.

Jim

raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock