Headlight motor... alternatives? by Corvus
Started on: 09-11-2013 12:15 PM
Replies: 14 (871 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-17-2018 07:58 PM
Corvus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the motor is starting to go out on one of my headlights and I've been thinking, is there any way to replace them with something that goes a lot faster? If you watch Miata pop-up headlights they are quite quick.

Would installing Miata actuators (or something similar) be difficult?
Has anyone done a headlight mod like this before?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a pre 87 (series 1 motors) change to 87-88 (series 2 motors) You will need a complete front harness from an 87-88 and the motors with their mounting bolts. Check the mall as they do come up from time to time. I also believe dodgerunner did a write up on modifying the series 1 wire harness to a series 2 if you cannot find what you need. Also check to see if you have a local 'pic and pull' as a source. The difference is day to night!
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the Gen 1 to Gen 2 swap a couple of months ago and they are far superior. The up/down time is about 1/2 of what it used to be. Well worth the cost and effort, and the motors are quieter and easier to work on if you have to.
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 so yeah, they are faster than the gen 1. I'm just curious if they could be even faster.
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2018 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want fast, figure out how to get rid of the headlight door springs. That would make the Fiero motors operate faster and let you swap in something geared for more speed and less torque. It's not worth pursuing anything until you get rid of those springs.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m4Fastback:
It's not worth pursuing anything until you get rid of those springs.

The door springs are there for a reason.....
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The door springs are there for a reason.....

And?
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL. Why are we all replying to this 5 year old thread?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ha ha ha......I missed that!
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2018 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corvus:

LOL. Why are we all replying to this 5 year old thread?

Someone linked it on facebook with the same question.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And?

Very very very simple; Remove the springs, and then drive above 50-60 mph.....the headlight doors will flip right up.

I put a new hood on my 85 SE, and then was cooking thru a transfer ramp up to approx' 80 mph......They popped right up! Found out the old hood had 2 springs per side, while the new hood only had 1 per side....Installed 2 more springs and took it up to 100 and they stayed down......You could remove the springs and then any time you clear 50 they would be up.......Or you could just tape them down (But that kind of defeats the whole purpose......)

PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2018 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Very very very simple; Remove the springs, and then drive above 50-60 mph.....the headlight doors will flip right up.

I assumed that was obvious, apparently not. You'd have to connect the door to the headlight mechanism and if done right it would completely solve the door lifting problem. My point is if you don't do the engineering to get rid of the springs, there's not much point in trying to adapt something meant for a lower torque application.

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m4Fastback (edited 11-17-2018).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assumed that was obvious, apparently not. You'd have to connect the door to the headlight mechanism and if done right it would completely solve the door lifting problem. My point is if you don't do the engineering to get rid of the springs, there's not much point in trying to adapt something meant for a lower torque application.

Good point. But assuming something is obvious is often the difference between failure and success. Of coarse the headlight designers thought of that and discarded the idea. Imagine the fit and finish problems when you adjust the hood.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few threads, on doing a total headlight swap and doing away with the popup headlights all together.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old thread put compared to Miata vid above... Fiero Gen2 is close to same as above. Use any method to DL and count Frames in MPC-HD et al.
My Gen2 is ~ 20 frames of 30fps video vs Miata 15-17 frames. Difference is maybe ~ 0.13 second...

Is not just "door springs" but Fiero likely has a lot more mass and loads like a lot more bearing points to move to open/close the doors. If motor(s) or anything else have problem then Gen2 can be slow but not as bad as Gen1.
Note that FMVSS 108 (DOT/NHTSA rules) allows 3 sec to open/close. Gen2 is well < 1 sec when everything is in good shape.
If your car is slow then look at grounds/power before looking at other things. Crap power/grounds will cause slow motors and worse. See my Cave, Electric Motors
If bearing are "bad" etc then many try lube... May work short term and fail far worse weeks/months after because many lubes "eat" plastic bearings and/or hold dirt.

Originally posted by James Bond 007:
There are a few threads, on doing a total headlight swap and doing away with the popup headlights all together.
And most don't know or Very likely simply don't care that most have big problems and/or are illegal.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock