500th Phantom wiper question by olchap
Started on: 09-10-2013 10:30 PM
Replies: 7 (249 views)
Last post by: olchap on 09-15-2013 11:45 AM
olchap

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a blank spot beneath my trunk release and I have installed a switch with the intent of disabling my wipers when not needed as the wipers drive me nuts! My original plan was to interrupt the white wire going to the control but when I cut it I still had partial wiper control so obviously there is some power looping back from the wiper module. Any thoughts on a simple place to disable this circuit? Maybe a ground lead or something else? If I have to interrupt power to both the module and the control I will have to put in a relay, of which I am not opposed to but am looking for something simpler. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olchap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never mind. Just went with a relay on the output side of the fuse box. Ran negative control to a switch I mounted in the trunk release panel. Looks like it belongs and my wipers are disabled except when I want them on.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a plan. Pics?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ Yeah, what he said!
olchap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what you guys need for a picture. Basically I put a 40 amp relay that I picked up at Autozone in line with the power circuit for the wipers. I cut the two white wires on the back of my fuse panel, soldered in the relay between the now two sets of white wires. I tied the hot lead of the relay to one of the white wires on the fuse panel side and the ground to a switch in the trunk release panel, also from Autozone. One side of the switch went to the relay, the other to a sheet metal screw that I drilled into my front fire wall.
Now my wipers are only enabled when the switch is on. At all other times they are disabled. Since the wipers are on the accessory circuit the relay only has power available to it when in acc or run.
Hope that helps.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that's helpful. I wouldn't have thought of the relay. It does sound like a very simple and effective solution. The picture would be of the switch that 'seems to belong there.' I find it difficult to add switches, etc. without making things look hacked up and improvised. The namesake SE has a blank space under the trunk release, but the GT doesn't. Just curious in other words.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to electrical, but what is the purpose of the relay? Why wouldn't a switch on the power do it?
olchap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's because of the current involved. The wiper circuit is 25 amps and a small switch would just melt at those levels. The relay is designed to handle higher loads safely.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock