Started on: 09-09-2013 11:17 AM
Replies: 25 (546 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 11-01-2013 10:56 PM
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 88 feels a lot looser in turns / changing lanes etc then I think it should, like ill start to turn then it feels like it just wants to start turning more(backend feels like it just wants to 'keep going')... I checked all bushings / bearings, they seem to be good, the car just received new tires not long ago, and an alignment, and ive checked tirepressure in all 4 corners, anything else I should be looking for?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possible one of your struts has gassed out (Bad).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the torque on the long bolt for the lateral links. It likes to come loose and then allows the rear wheels to toe in/out under throttle/braking. If thats good, check the torque on the short bolts on the lateral links as well.

Depending on sidewall stiffness of the tires as well as the profile height, it is possible to feel the rear of the car moving side to side as the sidewalls flex.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

it is possible to feel the rear of the car moving side to side as the sidewalls flex.

the way it 'feels' almost scares me, nothing like my 87 that has same size tires (stock)

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it can be a number of things but I always like to point this one out also when I hear of this happening on an 88.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=294
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I know it can be a number of things but I always like to point this one out also when I hear of this happening on an 88.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=294

ugh, hope thats not it.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a couple of vehicles, including 1 Fiero react that way and it ended up being a ball joint or rear tie rod end. In a turn they would suddenly try to oversteer.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I've had a couple of vehicles, including 1 Fiero react that way and it ended up being a ball joint or rear tie rod end. In a turn they would suddenly try to oversteer.

no tierods or balljoints on the read of the 88's

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

no tierods or balljoints on the read of the 88's

No tie rods, but there are ball joints. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=154
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are no tie rods OR ball joints in the rear of an 88
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your tranny mounts, if they're broken the car would sway when changing lanes
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1

The mounts can look perfect and be ripped. You will need to jack up the engine a little bit to see the break.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony_C and hookedonspeed, I concede. I have an 88, but have never had the need to go under the rear end, though I purchased a full set of Dickman ball joints for it. They've never been installed. I mis-read the link I posted above.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
welp after reading all this, I have a full weekend of poking around under the car don't I? :P

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you got the car aligned recently, like in the last 6 months, take it back and have them check it. These cars are very twitchy if the toe (front and/or rear) is not right.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

welp after reading all this, I have a full weekend of poking around under the car don't I? :P

Before you do anything else, just tighten the long bolt. Mine used to change lanes just by me getting on or off the gas. That was the fix.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You say the bushings "look" good but they are 25 years old. They could still be worn, deformed, cracked, or dried out. I know this is a bit different but this is the dog bone I replaced because the bushings weren't CENTERED in it. When I got it out, look what I found. This is from my garage kept 62K mile automatic GT.

This damage was not visible at all while installed. Maybe you should lean on Rodney to finish up his 88 bushings kit.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 09-11-2013).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

If you got the car aligned recently, like in the last 6 months, take it back and have them check it. These cars are very twitchy if the toe (front and/or rear) is not right.

that was done by the PO, 1400 miles away :P
Bad Cornflakes

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bad CornflakesSend a Private Message to Bad CornflakesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous owner chiming in to see if you figured this out.......
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw another post mentioning loose cradle bolts having the same effect...may as well check them at the same time

Edit: sorry...guess this was an old thread...probably already resolved by now...

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 10-30-2013).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Id say cradle bolts, or maybe worn out old struts.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you're at it, make sure the axle nut is torqued down. After being R&R'ed a few times can start to loosen up over time.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most likely cause is that the bolt attaching the lateral links to the knuckle is loose.

Also check the trailing link bolts.

Finally, alignment settings, cradle bolts, and wheel bearings.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently got tired of the sloppy feeling in my 88's rear end and an odd knocking noise that was getting worse and worse under acceleration. Turns out the cradle and suspension link bolts had all come loose to some extent and the knocking was b/c the passenger side rear cradle bold which had backed out 5/8". under accel, the cradle would knock up against the rear frame rails. After tightening all the suspension and cradle bolts there was much less slop, but the car will now turn slightly to the left when I mash the pedal. I think this remaining problem is being caused by worn out rear struts.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possible, but less likely...
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Possible, but less likely...

Can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't look right...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock