aLso need cooling help with a V8 by garage monster
Started on: 09-09-2013 12:53 AM
Replies: 10 (504 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 09-13-2013 12:49 PM
garage monster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Puzzled and maybe someone has an idea.

I have an 87 GT with a 383 sbc and the 5 speed. I use the radiator Archie V8 sells and an electric water pump that pulls from the radiator and pushed into the block. My fan is an upgrade.

While driving the engine never gets too hot. With 95 degree temps today I let it idle in the garage for 45 minutes and the temps get to about 200-210 and stay there. The same happens with spirited driving in these summer days. When I shut the car off the radiator sounds like it boils and the overflow tank fills up and then overflows. I cannot tell if their is actual boiling or if I am hearing water percolating into the overflow tank. As the car cools it suck water back into the radiator and I end up with an empty tank. After several days of driving the radiator will be a gallon of water low.

What is going on. No leaks were found with the long idle test.
Do I need an electric water pump with a higher flow rate?
Do I need a delay relay that keeps the fan and/or the pump running for 30 seconds or a minute after I shut the car off?

Ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Higher pressure rad cap and larger overflow tank maybe.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably running the pump and fan for a while after you shut down will fix the problem. The engine transfers heat into the coolant after shutdown, that pushes water out the front cap into the tank and over flows it, you need to cool the block before you shut down the cooing system. Larry
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First See my Cave, Radiator Caps

Rad cap is lower then engine's heads etc... Wrong cap will cause problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trapped air, jack the front up so cap is gighest point and keep overflow filled. Run through a couple heat cycles letting motor sit
for 45 mins to 1 1/2 hrs in between. Be sure and keep overflow full so system can keep drawing from it. G/L Ray

EDIT: You also may want to check your passenger floor to be sure your heater core isn't leaking. ( if you truly have to add a gallon)

[This message has been edited by rcp builders (edited 09-09-2013).]

garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will check my cap again to make sure the radiator cap is truly "Non-vented" as Ogre says.

As far s filling I use a radiator system funnel that locks onto rear cap and allows me to add water while running and lets out any bubbles. I run the car through several cycles. I do not think air is the problem.
I did re-read the Ogre section on caps and the note that the front cap is below the water level of part of the block may explain what happens and why the level always seems to fall to the same level. After the long idle test yesterday and no leaks I shut it down and let the water pump run for awhile along with the fan. No leaks and no issues. This morning I notice a large puddle of coolant under the front of the car just as the Ogre says can happen with a vented cap.

I will check it out.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the pump rated at!
garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No idea. I have been looking to find the receipt. It is a CSR remote.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's your water to coolant ratio, when you shut the motor down at 210 deg the coolant in the motor is going to climb above ~220 deg for a short while and if your cap is not holding sufficient pressure and your water/coolant ratio is in the right range to permit it, the coolant will boil some in the same manner that a shaken carbonated drink will when the pressure is released. I've had the coolant loss from the overflow due to a vented cap but never while the system was under pressure. Check the locking tangs on your cap and the filler neck to make sure they are not distorted causing a poor seal.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefered Archies original belt driven pump method. My car with a 383 automatic never got hot, even running a 4 cyl OEM radiator. I just made sure to carry a spare belt (i do anyway on most of my cars), because its possible to hit something in the road and knock it off. I can easily put on a new belt without any tools in a few minutes. I never trust an electric pump myself except maybe for a drag car thats not driven on the street.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I switched to a 7lbs cap and this product. No more hard hoses or worries about boiling the coolant.
http://www.evanscooling.com/
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock