Aluminum heads that work on a 2.8L by fierocarb
Started on: 09-09-2013 12:19 AM
Replies: 9 (1131 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 10-09-2019 05:59 AM
fierocarb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarbSend a Private Message to fierocarbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I know that this topic has been covered and I realize that there are easier ways to build horsepower. With that said I have a 2.8L with Edelbrock intake and Holly carb on it. Is there an aluminum head that would work as a direct bolt on with the stock pistons. I read some of the search results and just got confused and saw no one with the carb intake.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3100 heads will bolt directly on the 2.8, but with the iron head pistons will give you a much higher compression ratio. I have a carbed 3100 running in a Fiero now, but your intake will not fit the 3100 aluminum heads. Not sure what you want to end up with, but this is mine before I put it in the car:

Aluminum Head
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of the aluminum heads will fit your Edelbrock intake, if that's what you're getting at.
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the gen2 aluminum heads?
I've got a set from the tgp engine I built (I used 3400 heads),but not sure if they'll interchange or not.
Iirc they are the same combustion chambers as the 3400 heads so probably not.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

What about the gen2 aluminum heads?

Nope... the heads and intakes are generation dependent.

Gen 1: 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 iron heads
Gen 2: 2.8, 3.1 MPFI stamped on intake, aluminum heads
Gen 3: 3100 small/large port, 3400 aluminum heads
Gen 3.5: 3500 LX9 (non-VVT) aluminum heads

The 3500 heads can be used on a 3400 but the bore of the 3100 is too small.
The 3500 upper intake can be interchanged with the 3400, but the lower intake is specific to the heads (intake port shape).

Gen 1 and Gen 2 exhaust manifolds share the same bolt spacing, but Gen 3 increased the spacing to allow for the larger ports. Port spacing remained the same throughout. You can adapt early manifolds to Gen 3 heads by slotting the bolt holes.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 09-13-2013).]

DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually,they don't share the exact same exhaust manifold spacing,at least between 3.4 iron heads and 3.1 gen2 Al heada.
The TGP manifolds don't line up with the 3.4 iron head,they could be elongated to make work it looks like but they don't bolt right up.

*sorry,missed the part where you said slot the boltholes and that should make them work.
The ports do line up fine,just not all the boltholes.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 09-14-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

Actually,they don't share the exact same exhaust manifold spacing,at least between 3.4 iron heads and 3.1 gen2 Al heada.
The TGP manifolds don't line up with the 3.4 iron head,they could be elongated to make work it looks like but they don't bolt right up.

*sorry,missed the part where you said slot the boltholes and that should make them work.
The ports do line up fine,just not all the boltholes.

Yeah, but I didn't know about the Gen 2 already having wider spacing, thanks for pointing that out...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Nope... the heads and intakes are generation dependent.

Gen 1: 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 iron heads
Gen 2: 2.8, 3.1 MPFI stamped on intake, aluminum heads
Gen 3: 3100 small/large port, 3400 aluminum heads
Gen 3.5: 3500 LX9 (non-VVT) aluminum heads

The 3500 heads can be used on a 3400 but the bore of the 3100 is too small.
The 3500 upper intake can be interchanged with the 3400, but the lower intake is specific to the heads (intake port shape).

Gen 1 and Gen 2 exhaust manifolds share the same bolt spacing, but Gen 3 increased the spacing to allow for the larger ports. Port spacing remained the same throughout. You can adapt early manifolds to Gen 3 heads by slotting the bolt holes.

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but that very last sentence there... want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Is this telling me that I can possibly use my original red 2.8 Fiero intake manifold and Holley throttle body with a 3500 LX9 V6/60?
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notice the key word... I highlighted it for you.

"exhaust"

That last paragraph is in reference to exhaust manifold compatibility.

No, the red Fiero intake stuff won't work with the aluminium heads.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-05-2019).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Notice the key word... I highlighted it for you.

"exhaust"

That last paragraph is in reference to exhaust manifold compatibility.

No, the red Fiero intake stuff won't work with the aluminium heads.

Oh well, had to ask... wanted to make sure I didn't miss an opportunity.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for those rare Gen-1 Aluminum heads... they may just pop up again somewhere. There were some 30 sets made, and they're somewhere.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 10-09-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock