Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is the optimum engine coolant temperature?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the optimum engine coolant temperature? by David Hambleton
Started on: 09-08-2013 09:32 PM
Replies: 9 (527 views)
Last post by: FTF Engineering on 09-09-2013 09:22 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The temperature gauge in other vehicles I've driven seems to stay around one place whether the fan is on or not. My Fieros (2.5 or 2.8) all seem to run halfway between the 40 & the 100 unless idling or in stop & go traffic. The fan doesn't come on until around 100. Makes me nervous, since 'normal' is apparently around 70.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say well below where the thermostat starts opening, so around 180 F or so?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It depends on what you are trying to optimize.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the car is moving, the gauge shows about 70 C; when there isn't enough natural air flow, it's allowed to go to 100 C before the fan starts. I wonder why it's designed to get so much hotter. Other vehicles I've driven maintain a fairly constant reading.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

When the car is moving, the gauge shows about 70 C; when there isn't enough natural air flow, it's allowed to go to 100 C before the fan starts. I wonder why it's designed to get so much hotter.

I wonder if your issue is actually the opposite of what you're concerned about. If your temp guage is anywhere near accurate, I'd say your Fiero is running too cool.

70 C is only 158 F.

If you have a 195 F thermostat installed (which is OEM), I suspect it's faulty and allowing coolant to circulate when it shouldn't be.

You should run a scan and find out what coolant temperature your ECM is seeing.

What has your gas mileage been like?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Thermostat and Rad Fan
Use 195°F Tstat list in that page...

In very short story....
Tstat set low temp
Fan switch set high temp

Normal is about 200 to 220-230°F (93 to 104-110°C) in cast iron engine depending on several items.

Do not trust dash gauge.
Scan ECM to read ECT
or
use IR temp and "scan" Tstat house

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Agreed. Optimal will be different for horsepower, wear, emissions. Having said that, I like my street cars to run about 185 - 195 as I believe it to be a good temp to balance the above stated items.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.906 at 111.93mph

RyanFromMichigan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFromMichiganSend a Private Message to RyanFromMichiganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info on thermostats and the cooling system in general: http://www.centuryperforman...g-system-basics.html
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RyanFromMichigan:

Good info on thermostats and the cooling system in general: http://www.centuryperforman...g-system-basics.html

Not really good info. They're propagating the myth that "Your car will overheat if you run without a thermostat."

It's bull, and the people who believe that myth don't understand the physics behind the situation.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock