Which manual for 3800 by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 09-08-2013 10:58 AM
Replies: 13 (334 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 09-09-2013 05:21 PM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan to be puttin a 3800 SC in my car over the winter months. I'm going to make all my own mounts and stuff. I would like to stick to a stock Fiero transmission. I don't plan to beat on it really. At least no clutch dropping. I'd prefer a 5 speed for the MPG, but is it a viable option? My car is an auto at the moment, but I'm swapping that all over at the same time. Are the trans mounts the same between the 125 and the 5 speed? Or what all there would I need to change. I'm sourcing my harness and program, but would like to make everything else myself. I'm not going the cheapest route since I plan to order everything for the swap new. Like the clutch lines, master/slave, shift cables, etc.

I just want to know how well these transmissions hold up. I though i saw a few people running turbo 3800s backed by these transmissions, and that's not an option I'm going to overlook, but going to stick with the SC at least a few years. It'll be fast enough for a DD until I buy my Raptor, in which case I may dump the 3800 all together for a V8. Plans are a Spec 3 clutch if it will work out. If these transmissions just won't hold up I'll stick to the 4t65e-HD I have in the shed but I want the manual feel back. Autos don't bode well with me

------------------
~James

87 GT (Under Construction)

Madarch Widebody, Kahines tail, 3800SCII.... gonna be fun making threads on those!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are needing the tranny any ways why not go with an F23 5 speed or an F40 6 speed. If not then try and find an older 282 from a FWD car like a Beretta or Cavalier from the late 80's or early 90's to get the stronger diff over the Fiero V6 5 speed. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-08-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neither of you even tried to answer the question at hand. But that's ok, I was prepared for that.

To answer the question of why not using an F23 or F40. Simply put, I don't want to. I'm going to be buying another fiero with the sole intention of cutting it into pieces. So why not kill 2 birds with one stone? To be honest if it weren't for the anemic V6 they gave our cars, I'd never consider even a motor swap. I like to keep as much of the original car as possible, but in the motors case.... its just not cutting it.

Also, ease of installation. I dont want to mess with trans mounts and axles. I want to bolt it on, level it and weld the motor mounts where they need to be. And I don't want to spend more money on the car than I feel its worth. If I was going to do all that id buy an 88 already swapped and save myself a headache. I understand those 3 options are all stronger transmissions, but I dont want them. I want a stock one for the reasons I've listed and a few others. I'm not trying to come off as an ass, but its the same thing that happens every time someone asks about modding a 2.8, people don't offer much help, just critique the choice of motor.

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 09-08-2013).]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The V6 4 speed is a nice strong tranny and the gear ratios match the 3800SC pretty well but the revs are high on the long trips. The V6 5 speed is a nice tranny as well but gear ratios are not the best you can not shift from first to second fast enough and usually just spin the tires in first trying to get traction. At the same time the 5 speed will save you a fair bit of fuel and be easier on the engine at high speeds.
My personal choice if sticking with a stock Fiero tranny would be the V6 4 speed as most of my driving is short trips.
The reason for the F23 or F40 suggestion is you can get them cheap, they are stronger and a lot easier to come by with decent mileage and work very nicely with the 3800SC engines. Dan
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only reason that I even mentioned the tranny that I did is that it's a direct bolt in, using the stock mounts.
(IIRC, automatic and manual use the same mounts. Better?)
The Beretta getrag uses the same case brackets as the Fiero Getrag. Which you didn't bother to mention that you "almost" have, already.
It's externally identical, except for the release hardware.

Good luck.

I'll never darken one of your threads again.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F23 or gtfo.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

F23 or gtfo.

Why would anyone listen to this guy!!!!!
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Why would anyone listen to this guy!!!!!

no idea. he hasn't broken 10's yet...
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

no idea. he hasn't broken 10's yet...

U took the words right out of my mouth!!!!
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one "darkened" the thread. I was just asking specifically about the fiero transmissions. Main reason being that I have the auto already to match the swap, which I know a lot of people prefer, and don't really want to spend extra money if its not necessary. And as I said, buying a second fiero opened up the manual option for me . I've read the F23 install tutorial and it seemed like it was quite a bit more involved than just swapping the trans in, maybe I read it wrong, I don't know. I didn't want to sound like an ass like I said. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate input, and j apologize if I came off wrong.

Also, if I were to do a different trans, I'd prefer to go F40. Just wish there was a source for mounts, if not all the needed swap parts. I won't have all the much extra time to get the swap completed so I'm trying to "keep it simple stupid" as they say.

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 09-09-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a source for F40 mounts I started making them a while ago.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are afraid of making up motor and trans mounts than an engine swap is probably not for you.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never said i was afraid, just said I don't want to. Also noted that I am making the motor mounts.

Fieroflyer, could you pm me about those mounts? For a 6 SPD I may consider going away from stock and not using the HD trans I have.

Basically what I've gathered is that the stock manuals are not good options in terms of reliability behind this motor. And I am aware that they are not rated for it anyways, but I've seen some people with v8s still using the 125c so obviously ratings vs real world opinions/experience is what I was looking for. Thanks for responding guys, even those who just told me to not go with the stocker (as i said, I planned on getting those, was just looking for reasoning.... I could have worded things better and I apologize)

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 09-09-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock