Speedo by newfiejeff
Started on: 09-06-2013 08:44 AM
Replies: 8 (422 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 09-09-2013 11:26 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, how much trouble is it to get a speedometer for a 1985 Fiero? The car that I am looking at to buy is not working? I am told it's not the cable that is broke.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero speedometer is electronic. It doesn't use a cable. So I would say your adviser is correct. It can't be the cable.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-06-2013).]

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No fiero has a cable driven speedometer, they are all electronic.
Any fiero speedometer will work in a fiero.
Any aftermarket 4000PPM (pulse per mile) accepting speedometer will work (with some modifications to the electrical system).

If the stock speedometer is not working, there may be a code set and the SES light may be on.

-Dave
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a big issue do you think?
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Is it a big issue do you think?

That depends on what is wrong.
An unplugged connector? Easy. Just reconnect it.
Bad speedometer? Also rather easy. Just replace it.
Broken wire. Not so easy. You have to FIND the break.
VSS gear with broken teeth? Not very difficult. Just replace the gear. (Be careful removing/installing the VSS as the gear has been known to fall off and end up inside the tranny.)
Gear fallen off the VSS and now somewhere inside the tranny? Rather difficult. Replacing the gear isn't hard. But I don't want that VSS gear inside the tranny. That's the hard part. Having to split the case and get that gear out.
The VSS gear itself in a plastic gear. So having a couple of teeth inside the tranny shouldn't be of much concern. However having the whole gear inside could be. That is why I would split the case to get it out. My choice on that. It may not cause trouble but I'd rather be sure.

[This message has been edited by n7vrz (edited 09-06-2013).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a pic of this gear and where is this supposed to be placed?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your odometer or trip meter work? If so your problem is in the dash.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of it works
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock