Oil leak from timing cover bolt. by Tweeder
Started on: 09-03-2013 08:37 PM
Replies: 13 (672 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 09-05-2013 07:56 PM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally found the source of my leak after changing the oil pan and oil filter adapter gasket. It's leaking from the lower bolt hole next to the oil filter adapter. I tried a few tomes last night with silicone and it still leaks. So I put an O ring as well as silicone in there to see what that does. But in the mean time while it's drying, what do y'all do?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know never had a leak there before.. You should use thread sealant on all the bolts though when assembling, atleast on all the through-bolts of the engine.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

I don't know never had a leak there before.. You should use thread sealant on all the bolts though when assembling, atleast on all the through-bolts of the engine.

Yeah I don't know why they make through bolts like that, they're just asking for a leak. That and I don't know what bolts are that way.

------------------

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a timing cover bolt or a bolt in the adapter?
If it is a cover bolt, perhaps the cover is cracked
from the hole radiating out to where oil can leak
past the head of the bolt.
If the adapter is leaking. is it cracked?
I hope it isn't the joint where the oil pan joins
the timing cover...
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashyoung:

Is it a timing cover bolt or a bolt in the adapter?
If it is a cover bolt, perhaps the cover is cracked
from the hole radiating out to where oil can leak
past the head of the bolt.
If the adapter is leaking. is it cracked?
I hope it isn't the joint where the oil pan joins
the timing cover...

It looks to be coming from the timing cover right out of the bolt hole. Once it's warm, I can see it oozing from there. It doesn't look cracked. I assume it was that way when I got the motor as the whole bottom and tranny were covered in oil. I just assumed it was the oil pan as the valve covers were also leaking.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh, that didn't work. I let it set up overnight and when I got to work this morning it was still leaking. I took a good look and I don't see the timing cover cracked at all. I put lots of thread sealant on the threads and i siliconed the whole shaft liberally. what about oil residue in tye hole and on the bolt causing it not to seal? I am running synthetic oil. I can see it coming out the end of the hole underneith the bolt head. What about putting a copper washer there like on a brake calliper?

------------------

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil is not that hard of a thing to seal, I'm starting to think your cover gasket is leaking, there isn't much material between the bolt hole and inside of the cover so it wouldn't take much to make that fail causing the oil to seep up the shoulder of the bolt. A temporary/rigged fix would be to dry it up completely and just fill around the bolt shoulder and under bolt head with some ultra black rtv, then let it set overnight. Not going to fix the actual problem but keep the car on the road longer until you have time to properly fix.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Oil is not that hard of a thing to seal, I'm starting to think your cover gasket is leaking, there isn't much material between the bolt hole and inside of the cover so it wouldn't take much to make that fail causing the oil to seep up the shoulder of the bolt. A temporary/rigged fix would be to dry it up completely and just fill around the bolt shoulder and under bolt head with some ultra black rtv, then let it set overnight. Not going to fix the actual problem but keep the car on the road longer until you have time to properly fix.

Yeah that's where I can watch the oil coming from, it starts out ov the head of the bolt then seeps down the cover from there. How would a leaking gasket cause it to leak there instead of from the bottom next to the pan? I also noticed that there's no bolt directly above that leaking one, I will put one in there and see if that's the cause as well.

------------------

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Yeah that's where I can watch the oil coming from, it starts out ov the head of the bolt then seeps down the cover from there. How would a leaking gasket cause it to leak there instead of from the bottom next to the pan? I also noticed that there's no bolt directly above that leaking one, I will put one in there and see if that's the cause as well.

Easy, if the part of the gasket between the inside of the cover and the bolt hole in the cover fail, the bolt head isnt going to seal anything, it will seep up the shoulder of the bolt.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So for my learning experience and I am going to have to deal with my oil peak this winter. The timing belt (chain) is saturated in oil? I just have experience with a Pacifica and its a rubber belt no oil.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 09-04-2013).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will know in the morning when I get to work but so far it's not leaking. It was the bolt right above the bottom cover bolt, the one with the little stib sticking out. I remember taking that bolt out when I was running my belts as it was in the way since I don't have power steering and the belt runs directly up to the alternator, it was in the way.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be surprised if it is not leaking from a crack in something, a bolt head seals up really will on aluminum. Larry
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I also noticed that there's no bolt directly above that leaking one ...

I remember taking that bolt out when I was running my belts as it was in the way ...

So you're saying that you removed one of the attach screws from the timing cover and left it out? And you're surprised that there's an oil leak? Really?

Believe me, if each fastener weren't important for proper sealing, the manufacturer probably would never have put them there. The design engineers are paid to spend literally thousands of hours attending to such minute details. Even then they sometimes get it wrong. They (the design engineers) are usually under tremendous pressure, both from their managers and from the bean counters, to design out every unnecessary piece of hardware, no matter how small, which sometimes results in one fastener too few and the insufficient sealing that results. It is seldom that you will find a modern design with more fasteners than absolutely necessary.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-05-2013).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

So you're saying that you removed one of the attach screws from the timing cover and left it out? And you're surprised that there's an oil leak? Really?

Believe me, if each fastener weren't important for proper sealing, the manufacturer probably would never have put them there. The design engineers are paid to spend literally thousands of hours attending to such minute details. Even then they sometimes get it wrong. They (the design engineers) are usually under tremendous pressure, both from their managers and from the bean counters, to design out every unnecessary piece of hardware, no matter how small, which sometimes results in one fastener too few and the insufficient sealing that results. It is seldom that you will find a modern design with more fasteners than absolutely necessary.

Yeah, chalk that up to the blonde roots. Just slipped my mind.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock