Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Planning manual swap need help. Planning a write up thread.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Planning manual swap need help. Planning a write up thread. by Dr. Trey
Started on: 09-02-2013 01:32 PM
Replies: 8 (166 views)
Last post by: Pyrthian on 09-03-2013 02:28 PM
Dr. Trey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr. TreySend a Private Message to Dr. TreyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright every one I have an 85 GT and my old slush box has finally gone out. When you come to a stop it gets caught in gear and will stall every time. I have a 85 GT manual parts car provided by Ben Banks (Marine1981) I think he is on here. In any case the car has just about all the mechanical bits but the wiring has me concerned. The car was a race car and as such most of the wiring has been modified. My question is what harness's need to be swapped or modified in my automatic car. If Modified in what way should they be modified? Like the title says if I get this project going I plan to make a real in depth write up thread on the swap. Pictures of every change made to the wiring and step by step instructions. I find it hard to believe the closest I found to a thread like that is this one:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-098038.html
And I hardly consider that in depth. So long story short I wasnt to get mine swapped and give back to the community as a whole. I will be using a muncie 4spd for my build. Im already assuming that what ever harnesses i need i will have to get from another car so that could ease things a little. In any case please as much help as possible would be appreciated. Thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a not that big of a deal on the wiring side. Get a factory service manual and compare the circuitry.
If its a race car the wiring is easier as you dont need the cruise input etc.
The thread you linked to pretty well covers it.
Dr. Trey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr. TreySend a Private Message to Dr. TreyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WEll i dont have cruise any way. My major concern as mentioned above is the wiring harness running through the car and engine bay. What are the differences and in what way do you need to modify an auto harness vs a manual if at all. The thread mentions modification of wires but fails to mention which ones and if they are even included to modify on the automatic cars.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiring wise you want to splice in a clutch start switch at the pedal. Engine bay wise the neutral start switch off the auto needs to be removed and the wire to the starter connected to the wire coming from the C500. if you want just leave the switch sitting some where locked some how into park. The reverse light wiring is also on the same switch with an auto and needs to be removed and connected to the reverse light switch on the manual tranny or with Fiero 4 speed trannies the switch is on the shifter. Speed sensor is the same connector for both just in a different location so you will need to lengthen the wires to reach. remove the TCC lock up feed from the brake pedal to the ECM and use a Fiero ECM from a matching manual car. Rest is pretty much all mechanical work now. Dan
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's your car, but this seems like a whole bunch of work just to avoid replacing the tcc solenoid to me.

larry mimbs

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to buy the automatic shifter and cable if it is for sale. Price shipped to 31089?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJimmy:

Well, it's your car, but this seems like a whole bunch of work just to avoid replacing the tcc solenoid to me.

Does sound like the TCC is malfunctioning.
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Does sound like the TCC is malfunctioning.

I couldn't even tell you how many times I've seen TH125 tcc solenoids fail. I'm pretty sure I've even still got a new one with side cover gasket around somewhere.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this swap myself. 85 SE to a 4 speed muncie.
tho, I did other things as well, and had the cradle dropped when I did it.
wiring was not much an issue, tho little things like the trunk popper are things to watch
you'll need to extend the VSS wires.
the hardest part for me was the dang pedals. not an easy task for a tall person. basicly laying backwards on the seat with me head under the dash.....
the clutch line follows the same basic path as the auto trans cooling lines - so thats fairly easy.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock