Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  R&R automatic trans. from 2.8L engine on '88 cradle, any tricks to make easier?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
R&R automatic trans. from 2.8L engine on '88 cradle, any tricks to make easier? by hdryder
Started on: 09-01-2013 11:44 AM
Replies: 2 (153 views)
Last post by: jb1 on 09-01-2013 06:24 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the '88 V6 engine and automatic transmission, out of the car, sitting in the cradle, which is now about 17" above the concrete slab. It can be lower if needed.
I will be Removing the bad transmission and Replacing it with a good one I have on hand.
I need to separate the transmission from the engine, after supporting the engine properly.
I have removed a 5-speed Getrag earlier in the year, on an '88, to replace the clutch, and it was little of heavy, but this automatic looks a lot heavier and more bulky.

Are there any tricks to an operation like this, to make the job go easier?
I have an engine lift and several floors jacks.
Any other large tools that can be recommended to make this job easier?

Thanks for the help.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it easier to bolt up the trans. to the block, some how, when they are both off the cradle, then lower that assembly down on the cradle, and then connect to the motor/trans. mounts?
I will most likely have to do it as a one man operation.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not done anything with 88 cradle, but would probably be easier like the 84-87 to mount everything to the cradle then lower the car over and bolt up the cradle..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 09-01-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave