Socket sizes for rear struts? by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 08-29-2013 05:32 PM
Replies: 19 (384 views)
Last post by: sco77 on 09-01-2013 08:13 PM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna change out my rear struts in the morning and install my coilovers. I saw that the top nut on the strut shaft takes a 21mm, but how about the bolts that hold the strut to the arm? 24? They are still the stock bolts and I have them soaking at the moment, I just dont have a socket the correct size, even with a 500 piece craftsman set so I'll have to take a trip to the store in the mornin. Thanks guys.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
24 mm

Heat is your friend.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you sir. Hoping with a couple days of soaking I can avoid much heat, they look like they are in great shape
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I've just been extremely lucky, but I've removed the strut mounting bolts on several Fieros and never had a problem.

A breaker bar is your friend.

And... it might be an obvious thing to most of us, but turn the nut before you try turning the bolt.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-29-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You shouldn't have much trouble.
I forget what I used to crack mine loose. It was either a 1/2" drive breaker bar or the $69 electric impact wrench I bought from Harbor Freight. (Highly recommended.) If you've got to buy a socket anyway, might as well buy an impact socket.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so happens I have a 15/16-24mm socket buried in my box. 1/2" drive, and I have a plethora of cheaters around to use.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Just so happens I have a 15/16-24mm socket buried in my box. 1/2" drive, and I have a plethora of cheaters around to use.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If yours are like mine were you won't be able to use a socket because you need to hold the end of the strut to keep it from truning. Larry
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
broke my 1/2" breaker on a strut bolt. But they don't make tools like they used to
S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did mine, coilovers, 2 weekends ago. Followed this guide, you might want to check it out https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...118751.html#lastpost

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impact wrench has never failed me
PFF
System Bot
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So. With. 3' cheater all I was able to break was my breaker. And the impact wrench will not even come close to breaking them free. I got all the nuts and washers off. Can't get the bolts to break free and spin, although I did get one out. What a pain in the arse.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dumb question, but is the weight of the car off of the wheels?
Once the nuts are off, there really isn't much material to hold the bolts in place. All the holes are quite oversize, unless they're binding.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like Raydar said, you definitely want to take the weight off the wheels, but then after soaking them in penetrating oil, spin the nuts back on so that the end of the bolt is even with the last threads in the nut, then use a 5 lb hammer on the end of the bolt with the nut to get the bolt to slide and break free any remaining rust. Definitely use the nut on the bolts though to keep from mushrooming the ends.
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idea of an impact wrench IMHO in this situation is not so much to get the bolts off, although that would be nice, but to help the penetrating oil do it's thing. When I have stubborn bolts I spray penetrating oil, then run the impact wrench, even though that usually just means a lot of noise without noticeable turning. Then later I try the brute force solutions. And it might just be the latter later part that does the trick. I learned that in the Master of Procrastination program at Lazy Me.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, the electric (120VAC) 1/2" drive impact wrench that Harbor Freight sells will generate 200+ ft.lbs. of torque. Way more than any of my air wrenches, even the 1/2" air impact. I don't use it to tighten anything. Just to break stuff loose.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pneumatic impact that does 450+ that sometimes will not budge those bolts.

As stated earlier, heat is your friend.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer a couple things.

The rear is on jackstands with a jack under the control arm as I've been trying different amounts of pressure (or no pressure) to finda sweet spot to make them let go.

I've beaten the snot out of them with the nut on to try and pound them out to no avail YET.

Heat seems to be the best option at the moment but I don't have a heat source available at the moment.

These are coming out. No doubt about it. They'll come out or I'll cut them out and order new bolts. Either way, the rusted through (still factory looking) struts have to come off.

Thanks guys!

~James

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 09-01-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
So after a couple hours of ...... persuasion and spirited vocalization, old are out and new coil covers are in.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends a lot on the last time they were loosened or removed.. Since mine hasnt been touched in so long before I bought the car I had to run an impact and soak in PB and heat it to get it to break loose. Then I had to spin the bolt with compacter for a little while before it wanted to pop out.... and it wasn't even really rusted. Without an impact you might end up even bending a breaker bar if they are as seized as mine was.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock