ALDL USB Cable Driver by Madscanner
Started on: 08-29-2013 11:08 AM
Replies: 7 (1619 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-19-2014 12:37 AM
Madscanner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

After months of doing other jobs around the house and on the cars, I finally decided to to try and sort out the high idle on the Formula.

I got my laptop, my USB cable and my instruction sheet, and headed out to the car. Got the laptop fired up, checked the instructions, plugged the USB cable in to the laptop and the OBD1 port and... saw that the instructions say that the operating system should pick up the connection and ask for the driver.

Hmmmm...

This is the point in time that I tried to remember where I'd put the disc with the drivers. After spending an hour looking through my work room, I have been unable to find the disc.

Has anyone got a copy of the driver (it's the cable as shown here - http://www.aldlcable.com/) for this cable, that they could email me?

Failing that, does anyone know the name of the driver file - I could then try looking for the driver on my old laptop...

TIA.

The Madscanner

------------------
'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'93 Eunos Roadster
'00 Fiesta Zetec S (for those days when I need more than 2 seats)

[This message has been edited by Madscanner (edited 10-03-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check with phonedawgs. I think he has what you need. Here is his site, i think you can download from there. http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It most likely uses either the FTDI VCP or SiLabs CP210x chipset.

FTDI VCP drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

CP210x drivers: http://www.silabs.com/produ...ridgevcpdrivers.aspx
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I also emailed the retailer (OBD Diagnostics) who also pointed me to the FTDI CHip website.

Have loaded the driver and now, when I plug the USB cable in, the OS sees it and lists the ports as a USB serial port.

I still can't seem to get any output fm OBD1 to the laptop, but one step at a time, I guess. At least I'm further forward than I was a couple of hours ago...

Regards
The Madscanner
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a problem with some FT232RL chips and the latest drivers.

Download my install disk at the bottom of this page and unzip it. - http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html - it is the yellow box at the bottom. Also I just updated the file now so if you downloaded it earlier and you are not seeing the headings I reference here, they may not be on this morning's copy.

Unzip it and click AutoRun.exe or just AutoRun. A menu will pop up. Go to Overview - and under "Troubleshooting" look for "If you suspect the incompatible drivers were installed"

Follow the instructions there.

To determine if your drivers are working correctly follow the procedure marked "Testing the cable"

My drivers and install disk will work with my competitors cable you already have. If you are still having problems email me at gofast@reddevilriver.com and I'll work with you on getting it working.

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

It most likely uses either the FTDI VCP or SiLabs CP210x chipset.

FTDI VCP drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

CP210x drivers: http://www.silabs.com/produ...ridgevcpdrivers.aspx

I don't know anyone successfully using the CP210x chip in an ALDL cable.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-29-2013).]

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Phonedawgz

Email sent.

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yooohoo MS. Noubt useful to add but has been a while so just saying "Hi".

Good to know you still have a Fiero....or two and hope all is good with you. I still have mine (cold dead hands and all that) but Trampione is trying to sell whats left of his...so if you hear of anyone who wants a BIG project then let us know.

Cheers
PK
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several years ago I bought a serial ALDL cable from Dodgerunner and it worked fine on my old Dell laptop (1 GHz, 512 MB) running XP Pro SP3. I misplaced the cable (getting old and forgetful), so a friend of mine gave me a USB ALDL cable he doesn't use which is the same style as what Madscanner has.

Do you think I can get this thing to work... not a chance!

I'm trying to get some readings from my '88 Formula. I understand the jumpers on the cable. Doesn't matter where I put them. When using WinALDL, the communication box never turns green. It's always red with number 1 or 2 being displayed. ECM chosen is 1227170. I've tried using Com3 and Com4 for the cable and the Bits per second has been set to 2400. There are a few lines of gibberish that show up under RAW Data, but nothing at all happens in the Sensor Data section.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

There is a problem with some FT232RL chips and the latest drivers.

Download my install disk at the bottom of this page and unzip it. - http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html - it is the yellow box at the bottom. Also I just updated the file now so if you downloaded it earlier and you are not seeing the headings I reference here, they may not be on this morning's copy.

Unzip it and click AutoRun.exe or just AutoRun. A menu will pop up. Go to Overview - and under "Troubleshooting" look for "If you suspect the incompatible drivers were installed"

Follow the instructions there.

To determine if your drivers are working correctly follow the procedure marked "Testing the cable"

My drivers and install disk will work with my competitors cable you already have.

Phonedawgz, I downloaded your install disk and unzipped it. When I click on "Read First - Overview & Troubleshooting", a whole lot of HTML looking stuff opens up in Notebook. I suspect that's where I'd find "If you suspect the incompatible drivers were installed" and/or "Testing the cable". How can I access this properly so I can read and hopefully follow it?

EDIT: Okay, the solution to the "HTML looking stuff" was to open it up on my desktop computer. I'll follow the steps mentioned on my laptop, and see what happens. When I return, I'll either be thanking phonedawgz profusely, or asking a bunch more questions.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-19-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock