87 clutch fork by samt
Started on: 08-28-2013 04:43 PM
Replies: 11 (274 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 08-31-2013 12:42 AM
samt

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my clutch is toast something went south inside...I'm assuming clutch fork broke...it's an 87 getrag...I only have the shop space for one day to work on it so want to cover all my bases and have all the parts on hand to get it in and out...as I won't know whats in there till I get it apart were both designs of the fork used in 87?

[This message has been edited by samt (edited 08-28-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch forks are tough, and expensive. Unless you have solid proof, chances are your throwout bearing is messed up and the clutch fork is fine.
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
broken clutch forks aren't that uncommon are they? for the price of a used fork I would rather have one on hand if needed..the cars got to go back together same day...one way or another
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, but I don't think anyone can tell you which of 2 forks you have until you open up the clutch.
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im asking if the two differant ones were used in 87 i have no idea.....if thats the case then i will get one of each to have on hand....im certainly not so stupid as to think someone could tell me which one i have if both were used in 87...
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if there is any way for sure to know what you have in yours. I don't even know if the two types will interchange, they may. I think if you have a little wire welder and a big hammer you can probably fix anyting you may find with a TO bearing fork. It would take a fairly big event to distroy it. Larry
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by samt:

im certainly not so stupid as to think someone could tell me which one i have if both were used in 87...

Easy there, Sam....nobody is calling you stupid. Perhaps a more direct answer would be that there are no records defining when Pontiac used a particular clutch fork. Because all the components that come into play around the clutch fork are the same, there is a high probability that the forks are interchangeable, but that is just a guess, and it's clear you are asking for something more precise.
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am smart enough to know the two aren't interchangeable....
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because they look different does not mean they won't interchange with each other. Larry
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from the Fiero Store... may help others and from everything I could find on the forum the two are not interchangeable

2nd design was used in 88 only.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Matt
The Fiero Store - The World's Largest Source of Fiero Parts

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's interesting! They list both forks for 88, so apparently there was a running change. I wonder if there are other differences in the 'second design' transmission.
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it says 88 only it does not mean that the first model was not used in 88 also. Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock