clutch hydrologic question by ironhead.76
Started on: 08-26-2013 09:46 PM
Replies: 8 (519 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-27-2013 03:11 PM
ironhead.76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ironhead.76Click Here to visit ironhead.76's HomePageSend a Private Message to ironhead.76Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was replacing the clutch master cylinder on my 88 formula yesterday and I got to thinking. The clutch slave has a 15/16 boar and the clutch master has a 13/16 boar. If the master had a 15/16 boar what would be the pro's and con's? Or would there be?

I entertained the thought and came up blank.

Next question. If the pro's outnumbered the con's how could the master be board out and finding the plunger that would work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Large bore would result in a harder to press clutch, but it would take less distance to disengage.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned above, increasing the master cylinder bore will increase pedal effort, but reduce travel. Increasing the slave cylinder bore will have the opposite effect (less pedal effort, but more travel).

Instead of boring out the master cylinder, you could swap in a slave cylinder from a Muncie 4-speed or Isuzu 5-speed. They both have a smaller bore than the Getrag slave cylinder, which will have the same effect as boring out the master cylinder.
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might i add to that , on that slave use Rodneys dual o-ring piston.!!! didnt think it would make that much of a diffrence but boy was i wrong!!! I swapped mine and mine shifts like a dream now. its worth the 14 or 15 bucks!!!
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you could swap in a slave cylinder from a Muncie 4-speed or Isuzu 5-speed. They both have a smaller bore than the Getrag slave cylinder, which will have the same effect as boring out the master cylinder.
Perfect except they have different mounting requirements. Larry
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg: Perfect except they have different mounting requirements.

It's an easy mod. I've done it. All you need to do is unscrew the threaded studs from the slave cylinder, then drill out the holes to fit over the studs on the Getrag slave cylinder bracket. Then it's ready to install.

I didn't like the increased pedal effort, so I went back to the Getrag slave. But like they say, whatever floats your boat.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-27-2013).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ironhead.76:

I was replacing the clutch master cylinder on my 88 formula yesterday...

I just finished replacing the clutch on my recently acquired '88 Formula. Clutch performance (including disengagement) is now perfect.

Perhaps there's something in my thread Here that might be of some assistance to you.

I've had clutch disengagement problems with other Fieros I've owned, so I know how frustrating it can be.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-27-2013).]

ironhead.76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ironhead.76Click Here to visit ironhead.76's HomePageSend a Private Message to ironhead.76Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can see a nil increase in the clutch effort. The travel is the thought. Would the travel be drastic? I can see that being a con. It would reduce shift time. And also could a booster be fabbed? This is all for conversion. I have no clutch issues just curious what others thoughts are.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too much travel will bottom the piston against the end of the bore. Ideally the piston should be at a resting position in the slave bore so that at disk extremes of new and worn out, the piston doesn't bottom out in either end of the slave.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock