1986 GT by FieroGT1986
Started on: 08-26-2013 06:00 PM
Replies: 3 (165 views)
Last post by: FieroGT1986 on 08-27-2013 09:03 PM
FieroGT1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT1986Send a Private Message to FieroGT1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello...New to this site and very excited about it...Two questions. The plastic inserts that are attached to the engine cooling vents with rivots...Would it cause a problem if I removed them to help the engine run cooler at slow speeds? Also my bumper sags just a bit on the driver side. Any thoughts? Adjustment bolts in the trunk? Thanks to everyone I plan to be a long time member.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The temperture is controlled by the fan switch,preventing the fan from comeing on untill it reaches 220 degrees, removeing the rivited pices on the cooling vents wouldnt help much. Fiero Store sells a low temperature fan switch. You can allso install a manual fan switch, for detailed instructions leave a post. You would have to post a pic,so I could see your bumper problem. Otherwise you might be able to use plumbers faucet washer (Home Depo),to shim up the drivers side (most likely you would have to glue them on the bottom of the drivers side mounting points.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 08-27-2013).]

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum.
As JB mentioned, a lower temperature fan switch would be the best solution to controlling temperature at low speed. The stock fan threshold is actually 235F though, not 220. It definitely waits longer than I'm comfortable with - on my car the gauge was touching red by the time the fan would come on. I don't like to wait that long to find out if it's going to cool off.

The fan switch not only controls the radiator fan, it also controls a fan in the trunk which blows air over the ignition coil and the alternator. It blows through the 2 pipes coming off the trunk wall. (Not all models have this, but I assume from your username you have an 86GT) Unfortunately it does not blow air over the ignition control module, but a generally cooler engine compartment will still help that regardless.
By the way, if this car is new to you, then try flipping on the A/C, make sure the fan immediately comes on at that point. A/C should always activate the radiator and trunk fans, regardless of temperature.

I'd recommend a switch that comes on at 210F, off at 200F. This matches up well with the stock thermostat. Fiero Store might have them, and Rodney Dickman's site does. In the meantime, if your car has AC you can always use the AC switch to force the fan to run. If this doesn't cool it off, then you have other problems.

One suggestion: A more descriptive thread title can help bring in people who know something about the topic.
Try posting a picture of the bumper issue, and change the title if you can. If you can't change it, you might want to post the bumper picture as a new thread, with a title that describes the issue.
For posting pictures, I think the preferred method is to use the "Pennock's Image Poster" link at the bottom of the page. I'll admit I've never used it myself though. You can also use an external host. That's not as ideal because externally hosted pictures eventually disappear.
FieroGT1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT1986Send a Private Message to FieroGT1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a ton...Tried the AC and the fan comes right on...Would like to shore up the bumper. Will send some pics out asap...Thanks again for your help!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock