newbie - a possible fiero owner - clutch question by newfiejeff
Started on: 08-26-2013 07:30 AM
Replies: 11 (185 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 08-26-2013 02:02 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all!!
I am looking at buying a 1988 fiero gt, haven't seen the car yet will do so next week. I was talking to a friend of the owner on the phone this past weekend as the owner is gone away to work. The car has been lying up on ashphalt for the last couple of years and I don't think the engine has been started since then, but not sure. I am thinking that will be fine, it was working fine when they parked it. So I asked could it be driven and he said no, that there is a part gone on the gearbox(standard), as he called it a plunger. He told me that it was a pretty easy fix. So I searched on the internet what a plunger was and the only thing that I can come handy to is the clutch pushrod. He told me that it wouldn't go in gear because of this part. Would it be that part is gone, can the old one be adjusted, what else could it be, how big of a job is it to fix it? One more question, do you think I would be able to get the gears changed without the clutch, I had an old vehcile one time and I could get away without using the clutch. If I could I know that I would have to start it in gear and drive it then like I stole it...lol.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! There are 2 'plungers' in the clutch hydraulics...one on each end, so you could be talking about the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. A few photos would help you determine which one is missing...I'll bet it's the slave cylinder on the transmission.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How big of a job is it to replace either?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't know what is missing yet. If it is just a pushrod it takes 30 seconds, but replacing hardware is pretty simple.
The real problem is bleeding the system, and they are all different. Some people take weeks to get it right.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will take some pics and send off, maybe the car is not worth buying I don't know.
Do you think that you can change gears without using the clutch, I am trying to get it home without towing.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it can be done. That said, it takes an engine that runs well, and good brakes, and an open road with not much traffic, so I think the odds are against you (except that last part if you are out in the country).
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So in looking at this car what should be the most important things I can look for?

Do you know where I can get a new engine cradle to if I had to get one? Does all engine cradles fit all years?

The V6 engine, what other vehicles does it fit or what other V6 engines fit the Fiero? What about the transmission, are they common, are they used in other vehicles or just to the Fiero?

Here is the link to the car:
http://newfoundland.kijiji....T-W0QQAdIdZ497725818
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spend some time learning about the search function on this site. All the questions you have are common here and there is a lot of good advice. Because the car has been close to salt water, be careful about looking for rust. Also notice it is a 1987 Fiero...somewhat less desirable than a '88.

Did he break up with the girlfriend on the hood?...

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-26-2013).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

So in looking at this car what should be the most important things I can look for?

Here is the link to the car:
http://newfoundland.kijiji....T-W0QQAdIdZ497725818

A new hood!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG...

Originally posted by Gall757:

Also notice it is a 1987 Fiero...somewhat less desirable than a '88.

Did he break up with the girlfriend on the hood?...

Yeah, don't be asking questions about an '88 when it's actually an '87 you're dealing with. Quite different cars in a lot of important ways.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-26-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad you liked the hood...lol...not my style, but hey it must have cost a few bucks to get done.
Sorry about the year, I was thinking about the 1988 I took for a test run last week.

I am glad to see that this forum is pretty active

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock