96-97 3.4 dohc exhaust manifold flip adapter by gambler85
Started on: 08-25-2013 05:07 PM
Replies: 4 (365 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 10-01-2013 08:08 PM
gambler85

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Click Here to Email gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that not a lot of people are doing this swap anymore but some have the swap done, or are in the process of it (like I am). I have been working with a machine shop trying to make the front manifold of the 96-97 3.4 dohc motor work on the back head. most people know that the 91-95 swaps you can just switch them but the 96-97 one if you flip them the exhaust port in the head doesn't line up. well I have made up an adapter out of 1/2" steel and will be in the process of getting it cut and mocked up. when I work out all the kinks of this working, I will be putting them up for sale for no profit and I will release the cadd file for whoever wants to use another shop to cut it. I will be posting pics and information as I go through mock testing and if I have to fixing the cadd drawing.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might be down for a set..
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes a large radius fillet will reduce the "flat" for the bolt head, but if these mounting feet are cut with a large radius fillet along these edges, they could then be finished with a flat faced end mill to provide the full diameter flat surface for the bolt head.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzClick Here to Email n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The large radius fillet will reduce stress risers that can lead to cracking.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't even machine that surface shorter than the rest of the part. That way the adapters can be cut via water jet or laser at a much lower cost. Some laser beds also have built in drilling/tapping operations, so a single setup could do everything on the bracket. Then if you wanted to get fancy, you could counter bore the holes for the bolts that attach the bracket to the head.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock