Cost of a shop engine swap by Treep78
Started on: 08-25-2013 02:18 PM
Replies: 28 (1215 views)
Last post by: Treep78 on 08-27-2013 05:02 PM
Treep78

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So through a mess of circumstances I might need to push up the timeline on finishing my Fiero from about a year to about two weeks. Has anyone had a shop done engine swap on their Fiero? If so, which engine and how much did it cost. I'm hoping to be able to get the engine and tranny swapped for $4k or less including parts and I know that might be a stretch.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what swap? that would be big question. for what you are wanting to spend and paying labor I would say only one that would be that inexspensive would be maybe a 3.4

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 08-25-2013).]

Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, should have given more details. I currently have it with a nogo Iron Duke and the three speed auto, so both have to go. I'm basically looking for a swap I can actually get a shop to do rather than one where they stare at me and say "but that never went in that car". The biggest problem is that my total budget for the engine, tranny, parts, and labor is $4k. That would be fine if I had time to do it myself, but I don't. I may be able to pay more if I sacrifice other parts of the build, but for now that's where I am. Though I thought swapping a 3.4 in a car that came with a 2.5 was really complicated?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could buy a pretty good V6 Fiero for $4000 - stock or "done".

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-25-2013).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheaper to buy another Fiero with drive train you want.
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I could get a better fiero I'd have done so from the start, sadly the selection of cars in my area is terrible, this was the only one available when I bought it and none have gone on sale since then.

Though out of curiosity, does anyone know how easy a V-8 swap would be if I had one of archie's kits? If I could do some sort of swap myself I could do it on a different engine cradle (plenty at the local scrap yard, no v6 or manual parts though ) and see if I can get the duke running in the meantime. I don't have the equipment to fabricate any parts from scratch and to be honest I'm only really a passable mechanic having only don one engine rebuild and swap in the past and that was a completely different car.

[This message has been edited by Treep78 (edited 08-25-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of stuff to think of with a v8 swap... even with archies kit and the wonderful instructions he gives. Not to mention if you get a "master" kit you've already spent the majority of your budget before you've even tackled buying the motor and trans. Your budget would build you a nice 3800 swap. You can source all of the needed mounts, wiring, and exhaust through forum members to make it almost plug and play. 2 weeks would he the killer on that though. I agree with the above to be honest... find another one for sale even if you have drive a little ways to pick it up. I ONLY say that because of your timeline. Unless you have the ability to make all the mounts and do your own wiring, I'm afraid short of a duke to duke transplant you're going to have major issues with 2 weeks. Just my .02 though. I do wish ya the best of luck with whatever rout you pursue.

~James

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 08-25-2013).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you in Abilene, TX or in MA? if texas get ahold of someone from Bat city fieros. Im sure they can hook you up with a great car for 4G. i drove to Ft. worth to get mine.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any if you're in Mass, I've got an 88 3800 swap car for sale in NH:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066814.html
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in Abilene. I'll give that place a look.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Cheaper to buy another Fiero with drive train you want.

This...There r several ni e Fieros in the DFW area for that price. Have someone check them out then fly im and drive it back..
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in abilene as well. Lets talk. The shops around here will screw you. I have done a 3.4 swap and can help you out let me know. My number is 210-560-6746
bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy in Waco did my v8 swap for $3400. I don't know if he still has time to do one, but if your interested I could give you his number.

Brian
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, get another car.

Two weeks and $4K? You don't even have a shop? good luck... Finding a shop to do the job AND available on short notice is very hard. Most repair shops hate swaps... Swaps eat time, people, garage space, etc.

Just Shipping the parts can take days to weeks.

"Cheap" and fast swap is V6 w/ AT... 2.8 and a few others can work on 2.8 wiring. V6 harness is PnP w/ 85-88 l4 when use TH125c. 4T60 can work if money allows but time likely kills that.

Very cheap and just get car drivable... Fix/Replace L4 engine.
Likely You get better price sell w/ an ok engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Treep78:
Though I thought swapping a 3.4 in a car that came with a 2.5 was really complicated?

What year is your car? If you have all the 2.8 parts, it wouldn't be a big deal to do in an 85-88 Fiero...but if you have an 84 then the wiring becomes an issue.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...sadly the selection of cars in my area is terrible, this was the only one available when I bought it and none have gone on sale since then.

The guys here have to start getting used to the idea that to get "the car you really want"
you have to be prepared to spend the time to look outside your hometown to get it.

We've often seen posts like "I really want an 88 GT 5-speed, but all that I can find in my hometown is an 84 Duke automatic. If I get the Duke, how much will I spend to convert it to a V6 5-Speed and swap a GT body on it?"

ANSWER - a lot more $$$ and work than buying the car you want from 3 States over.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-26-2013).]

Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the feedback. It's clear that Im an idiot so Im gonna try to get the thing started so I have transport until I can build and swap a new engine.

BTW it's nice to see someone in the abilene area.

Best regards to all.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for all the feedback. It's clear that Im an idiot

No you are not. Just start saving a lot of extra money if you are going this route.
Keep in mind you could be paying someone for their time to "learn" about the Fiero.

Later, you could be our next "if I were doing this over" story.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-26-2013).]

hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you need help/advice hit me up. I'm available most evenings.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having done allot to my GT, I can tell you that if you NEED a car, starting with a dead 28 year old car is not a good option.

If you want a cheap engine replacement, the stock engine back in is the way to go.

That said, if you want a v8 the cheapest is to find a Cadillac Sedan DeVille from the 89 to 93 years. You pull the ecm, wiring harness, and drive train out of it.

The car will be cheap and the engine and tranny work.

But, if you are smart, keep the Fiero strictly as a hobby car and find a compact used for your daily needs.

Arn
goatvenom

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for $4000 ill drive my car to your house and hand you everything i need.

realistically you could find a car closer or even half way across the country and have it shipped to you for pretty cheap.

if i were in your position i would definitely look into v8 swap or a 3800na with a wiring harness already made.

Ryan
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Embarrassingly I never thought to look outside the state, though that LS1 is a bit extreme for me. If you know anyone trying to sell a 3800 and they're willing to help me ship it out here let me know.
Andreeas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndreeasSend a Private Message to AndreeasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You havent commented whats wrong with your duke...
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Andreeas:

You havent commented whats wrong with your duke...

And why is there a two-week deadline?
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two week deadline is cause I need to come up with some sort of reliable transport to go grocery shopping etc. Not sure what wrong with the duke. Cranks but doesn't turn over and the battery is now dead. I might try to go to Dallas this weekend and pick up a running Fiero.
Andreeas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndreeasSend a Private Message to AndreeasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made any troubleshooting so far? (With help from Fieroforums?)
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Two week deadline is cause I need to come up with some sort of reliable transport to go grocery shopping etc. Not sure what wrong with the duke. Cranks but doesn't turn over and the battery is now dead. I might try to go to Dallas this weekend and pick up a running Fiero.

Do you mean it cranks and it does turn over but wont fire/start?
Cranking and turning over is the same thing, firing/starting is the next step.

Kevin
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya but honestly at this point even if I got it started I don't have my tools with me and it needs new tail light covers. To me it makes more sense to get a second Fiero and use this on for parts and as a frame to build stuff on for the other one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock