3800 l32 spercharged double rollmaster questions by fierogtx
Started on: 08-24-2013 11:01 PM
Replies: 11 (673 views)
Last post by: Justinbart on 08-27-2013 04:08 PM
fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to install the Rollmaster Double Timing chain set onto my L32 project. I am aware of the issue regarding clearance with the front cover. Some have said all that needs to be done is machine the oil pump plate .020" and remove the balncer shaft sprockets. do you just remove the balance shaft gear or you remove the sprocket directly behind the cam timing sprocket or the two gears ??? if you remove the sprocket behind the timing gear doen't that then make the chain angled because the crank sprocket is in the stock location? Also what keeps the cam timing sprocket from floating on the cam because of the excess area it can travel. And lastly, how does the engine run without the balancer shaft active? I know lots of people have figured this out, I'm just not one of them yet. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtx:

I am looking to install the Rollmaster Double Timing chain set onto my L32 project. I am aware of the issue regarding clearance with the front cover. Some have said all that needs to be done is machine the oil pump plate .020" and remove the balncer shaft sprockets. do you just remove the balance shaft gear or you remove the sprocket directly behind the cam timing sprocket or the two gears ??? if you remove the sprocket behind the timing gear doen't that then make the chain angled because the crank sprocket is in the stock location? Also what keeps the cam timing sprocket from floating on the cam because of the excess area it can travel. And lastly, how does the engine run without the balancer shaft active? I know lots of people have figured this out, I'm just not one of them yet. Thanks

ZZP offers the oil pump cover, or you can have it machined.. I completely removed my balance shaft.. but you have to plug a oil port in the rear of the block where the shaft was, you can drill and tap or I used a dodge 440 cam bearing and pressed it in to seal it off..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

black88fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtx:

the cam gear on the double is thicker, it doesnt walk around on the cam. i pulled my shaft out and did the cam bearing method it worked for me no issues and never had low oil pressure.

fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you remove the sprocket directly behind the cam timing sprocket or just the balance shaft gear or the two gears ??? if you remove the sprocket behind the timing gear doen't that then make the chain angled because the crank sprocket is in the stock location ????? thanks
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtx

971 posts
Member since Sep 2011
bump
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the double roller yet? It has been awhile but best I can recall I can not see how you would be able to install the cam gear for the double roller with the gear in place..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

black88fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can leave the balance shaft in.. you have to remove the gear to put the double roller on it will not work otherwise. Do you have the set yet? when you get it and start to install youll see
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

Do you have the double roller yet? It has been awhile but best I can recall I can not see how you would be able to install the cam gear for the double roller with the gear in place..

yes i have it but not install just preparing myself to make sure before remove front cover and insalling the rollmaster ( i speek french and i have difficulties to understand abou that ) i have many mechanical experience but modifying parts is not my speciality thanks for your help

fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtx

971 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by black88fiero:

you can leave the balance shaft in.. you have to remove the gear to put the double roller on it will not work otherwise. Do you have the set yet? when you get it and start to install youll see

i just want preparing myself before the project and i speek french and sometimes its hard to understand that
if i called the balance shaft gear is the balance shaft gear and the gears behind camshaft sprocket is the balance shaft gear drive ok ???
i know that i need to remove the balance shaft gear and i know that i can leave the balance shaft in the block or remove it by plugging the oil hole but do i need to remove the balance shaft gear drive ???? ( the gear behind the sprocket ) ???????
thanks a lot for your help

BMFB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMFBSend a Private Message to BMFBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
double paper gasket is the proper way to solve this issue.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How so?^
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two of the paper timing cover gaskets from zzp is all you need for clearance for a rollmaster double chain.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock