which clutch and flywheel 2.8 stroker? by Ac Fiero
Started on: 08-24-2013 09:05 AM
Replies: 7 (177 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 08-24-2013 06:32 PM
Ac Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ac FieroSend a Private Message to Ac FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so which clutch should i get? im doing an auto to manual swap soon. i have a stroked 2.8. im putting in a muncie 4 speed. im confused though as to which clutch to buy since my engine uses the neutrally balanced flywheel just like the 88s however im using a 4 speed which wasnt offered in 88. i will be buying a spec stage 2, just not sure which part number to buy. also is there any brand in particular i should look for or avoid when it comes to the flywheel? im going to be using a steel one

------------------
Anson Craig

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any clutch will hold the 2.8. just make sure to get the right throw out bearing. My local parts store took 7 trys before they got the right one. Mines a 86 gt but every part had to be ordered for a 85. their computers only listed the Getrag in 86
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the clutch and TO bearing for the year and type of transmission. Read a little here about all the problems with the "high end" clutches like Spec and Clutchnet, I think you may think better of using them after seeing all the problems people are having with them. Any stock 9 1/8th clutch will hold your engine easily, if you want a little more I would go with a stock pressure plate and one of the ceramic puck discs, that will give you about 25% more capacity than an organic disc. The puck type spring center discs are avaliable on Ebay for about $80.00, pay no attention to the 4 speed or 5 speed fitment claims, they are the same. Larry
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll need a flywheel for an '88 Fiero V6, but the clutch shouldn't matter. It's the crankshaft and flywheel that are balanced to each other. So a clutch for a V6 / 4-spd Fiero should be fine.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you buy a clutch disc, the only thing that matters is that it is for a Fiero and that it is a 9 1/8 inch disc. The charts will tell you that it only fits a 4 speed or 5 speed or an Isuzu or getrag, but they are wrong, any disc fits everyting. The reason the pressure plates are different is that the different transmissions use different throwout bearings which require different fingers on the pressure plate with different heights. Larry
Ac Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ac FieroSend a Private Message to Ac FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great info guys. I was researching in the threads about best clutch sets, i seemed to only find good info on Spec, maybe they were outdated threads though. I will do more research, I've replaced many Clutches but i dont know much about types of pressure plates or disks. Is puck a type? Or brand?

[This message has been edited by Ac Fiero (edited 08-24-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Puck and full-face are two different types of clutch disc. The full-face disc is probably the type you're used to seeing, there the friction surface is a complete circle. But the puck-style disc has hockey-puck sized pieces of friction material instead of a full disc. The puck-style discs are generally used for racing, because they tend to grab hard. That can make driving difficult on the street.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a type of higher performance disc. Here is one I have They hold about 25% more torque than an organic type (standard) disc can and they have no spring backing under the fricion material which makes for a more positive release and engaugement, the release is important to Fiero's as there seems to be a lot of people who have clutches that drag making shifting hard. I would really encourgae you to go with a stock pressure plate and one of these discs if you want a little better performance, the price is good and I think you will have much less chance of having clutch problems. These "Puck" type clutches seem to be all made in the same factory, I see about a half dozen names attached to them and they are all identical down to the markings on the rivit heads. Again, do not believe the "5 speed only" on the fitment, it is wrong, they fit every 9 1/8th inch clutch Fiero. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 08-24-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock