Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '86 Fiero with 3.4 Swap Shutters and bounces around at take-off.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'86 Fiero with 3.4 Swap Shutters and bounces around at take-off. by Oslo
Started on: 08-23-2013 11:45 PM
Replies: 5 (261 views)
Last post by: Oslo on 08-27-2013 08:59 AM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I just bought an '86 GT with a 3.4 PR swap and a 4T60 tranny. The swap was done 8 or 9 years ago by "Fiero Bob". The car runs and drives great but when taking off from a stop, anything over 1/4 throttle makes the whole car shutter and kind of jump around and not really go anywhere. While this violent shuttering is happening the engine RPMs increase as if almost free-revving but the car doesn't move forward much.

Today I replaced the automatic transmission filter and about 6 quarts (out of 7) of the fluid.

What it feels like is a loose mount making it all jump around, but the fact that the RPM's climb makes me think something internal to the transmission is bad.

Any ideas? Anything I can check before bringing it to a shop to have them look at it?

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-Auto.com
Find TLG on Facebook!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is a no-brainer, but are you sure the fluid level in the transmission is correct?

Anyway, the first thing to do would be to determine if it's the engine or transmission causing the symptoms. If the engine is sputtering, it should do it in Park / Neutral as well as in gear.

You can check to see if the mounts are loose by holding the brakes (so the car doesn't move), and cycling the shifter from Reverse to Neutral, then to Drive, and back again. Do it slowly and methodically, instead of just throwing the shifter into Drive or whatever. When the transmission goes into gear, it should take up the slack in the drivetrain smoothly. If you hear / feel a clunk, then you may have a bad mount.

Bad mounts shouldn't cause the symptoms you described, though. Actually, based on your description, I'd tend to think the transmission is slipping, and needs a rebuild.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input. Because of the strange way it acts I did a transmission fluid change with a new filter, so we're positive there is enough fluid and that the ATF is good.

I don't think it's a mount, but I'm going to get under there again and check it out. I'm guessing it's something inside.

Could a bad torque converter cause issues like this?
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talked to a mechanic briefly today about the issue and he suggested bad clutches inside the transmission. I'm thinking that getting a good one and swapping it out would probably be less expensive than having this one rebuilt...
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You see this one in St. Paul?

http://minneapolis.craigsli.../pts/3999346055.html

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

You see this one in St. Paul?

http://minneapolis.craigsli.../pts/3999346055.html

No I did not... thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay