Paint removal interior? by LornesGT
Started on: 08-21-2013 09:03 PM
Replies: 8 (221 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-23-2013 06:11 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found an 87 coupe in the junkyard today, gotta couple of interior pieces but they were painted. I would like to remove the crap paint and try again, any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heat gun maybe. Sanding will remove the texture and stripper will probably melt the plastic. If the paint is adhering well to the plastic I'd just scruff it up and respray.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which interior parts? Dash, door, faceplates, carpet? I agreee you may have to respray them.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E brake carpet trim.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean Rags and Laquer thinner. at first, drown it, most will wipe right off in about 15 seconds. then just dampen the rag and wipe off the rest.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

E brake carpet trim.

I dont think you can remove color from a recolored carpet. New carpet is available.
Ebrake handle, probably, I'd try rubbing alcohol first, it depeneds on what they colored it with.
I'm not sure which things are trim. But in most cases it is probably easier to replace the parts with used parts. Could try the "Mall" here on the forum.
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try soaking it in brake fluid and rinsing with water.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I dont think you can remove color from a recolored carpet. New carpet is available.
Ebrake handle, probably, I'd try rubbing alcohol first, it depeneds on what they colored it with.
I'm not sure which things are trim. But in most cases it is probably easier to replace the parts with used parts. Could try the "Mall" here on the forum.

Not carpet the plastic trim.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Clean Rags and Laquer thinner. at first, drown it, most will wipe right off in about 15 seconds. then just dampen the rag and wipe off the rest.

This is what I usually do. Some say brake cleaner takes the paint off plastics, but never tried it that I remember.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock