1984 2.5l oil filter by don297
Started on: 08-20-2013 05:53 PM
Replies: 10 (632 views)
Last post by: crashyoung on 08-22-2013 12:26 PM
don297

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where the hell is the oil filter on the 1984 duke fiero? I have been out there for a while trying to find it and I can't.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you have an 88 engine.....
don297

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is definitely an 84, original engine. I know that its supposed to be below the alternator but all I can see is this black cylinder that looks as if you couldn't pull an oil filter out so I doubt that that is it.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is where it is, and it sounds like you found it. Compare with a new one, AC Delco PF52, it's a bit larger than a beer can and sticks straight out of the engine horizontally, pointing at the trunk wall. PITA to get out on an automatic transmission car. Post a pic if possible and we can tell you for certain what's going on.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pic of an 84 engine out of the car....the filter is the blue thing on the side, under the alternator like you mentioned. And yes, it is a PITA with an auto.

Edit to add....mine was blue, but could be any color. Black, white, and blue are the most common colors.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 08-20-2013).]

don297

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, that was it. It was a royal ***** to get out, spilled oil all over the drive axle, and cradle.
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by don297:

Thanks guys, that was it. It was a royal ***** to get out, spilled oil all over the drive axle, and cradle.

Yep, absolutely a pain in the butt to get out. I put aluminum foil over the exhaust pipe to divert the oil around the pipe into the pan. I used a Fram 3980 although it is not my first choice but it was sitting on the shelf in the garage. It does have rough exterior so it is not slippery or else you need some gloves to get a grip on it. Everything has to be done by touch because I could not see it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I didn't like about the filter location was that it put oil on the engine mount. Otherwise, I really didn't have a problem with oil on anything else. I used a PF52 filter and even had the auto tranny on one of my fieros.

I had a Saturn that had the filter on the back side of the engine... that was a pain, if I remember correctly.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I used a PF52 filter and even had the auto tranny on one of my fieros.

Long filter is required per recall on 84.
Is an option for later years. Long filter just helps changing them later.

Problem changing is mainly cause by mount bracket.
Stuff bracket/block area w/ rags etc help some.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Long filter is required per recall on 84.
Is an option for later years. Long filter just helps changing them later.

Problem changing is mainly cause by mount bracket.
Stuff bracket/block area w/ rags etc help some.

Yup, used PF52 on all fieros and rags down in the mount bracket area. Used PF52 in other applications were the PF47 was called for originally.

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remote mount the filter and add an oil cooler.
Then you can use a ford truck filter (2 qt. cap.)...
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock