some advice? by sgosser
Started on: 08-20-2013 12:21 PM
Replies: 5 (160 views)
Last post by: sgosser on 08-20-2013 05:56 PM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.8 85 gt with a head gasket problem and clutch slipping so engine has to come out. Here are my options so far. I can rebuild 2.8. or I have found one 3.4 at salvage yard from a 94 firebird with unknown mileage(don't like that) I have found an individual selling a 3.1 out of a 92 firebird who says it has 119,000 miles on it. Hard to install 3.1? I have read a lot about 3.4 as the easiest swap but I hate not knowing about the mileage first. 2.8 has 160000 miles on it and still runs decent losing some water, none in oil yet but it did run hot. I am not sure which direction to go. That 3.4 is the only one I could find in this area. thanks for advice.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The absolute cheapest way to go would be just replace your gaskets and throw a new clutch in. But as you know the 3.4 swap is the easiest swap out there. Since you are dropping the motor now would be a good time to replace it. With any of the engine choices you have I would personally rebuild whatever motor you choose to have some piece of mind. I got my 3.4 out of a 95 camaro that had 250k on it. It was very well maintained. I still tore it down to a bare block and had it rehoned, and rebuilt it myself. All in all I think it cost about 500 for all the machine work and that included new rings, bearings, heads rebuilt and the crank polished. It runs very strong now and has a nice torque feel to it when I punch it now. If you are low on cash and want a swap the 3.4 is the way to go. Use car-part.com or look in craigslist for a crashed camaro/firebird.

[This message has been edited by hiwil88formula (edited 08-20-2013).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sgosser:

Hard to install 3.1?

Easier than a 3.4! The 3.1 block is just a late ('88) 2.8 with a longer stroke (different crankshaft and pistons). With either the 3.4 or 3.1 you will also need a neutrally-balanced flywheel or flexplate. Your '85 2.8 was externally balanced, while the 3.4, 3.1, and '88 2.8 engines were all internally balanced.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the starter for the FWD car is on the wrong side. Larry
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely/positively use either a 3.1 or 1 3.4 . I'd put rings and bearings in either before installing them. it's cheap and you will KNOW what you have.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the advice. I will get this engine out and see what I have. I may get lucky and find a cheap engine replacement, if not I may just fix this one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock