a few questions about an iron headed 3400 by Sigler85GT
Started on: 08-20-2013 09:47 AM
Replies: 2 (210 views)
Last post by: sleevePAPA on 08-20-2013 11:14 AM
Sigler85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, not looking for any 3800 is way better talk. I alreay have that covered. Or the aluminum heads are better than the iron. I am not arguing this but i like the way our cars look from the factory. For the most part. I understand the mechanical parts that are needed to mate the two together.

what hp can the stock bottom end take on the 3400?

I know the compression ratio is lowered if using the iron heads and stock 3400 pistons but what is the ratio exactly?

If you were to boost the iron heads would the intake restriction still be as big of a problem as it is NA?
And if you were to remove the fin from the heads does that matter with the boost being added?

Would the 7730 icm be a wise choice to run the engine with and will it support the 3400 stock coils?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock aluminum heads are better then the most modified iron head. The stock bottom end can probably stand more HP than you will ever get out of an iron head engine. I haven't done the calculations, but the CR will be very low with iron heads on top of aluminum head pistons, (I would be guessing 6 or 7 to 1?). Don't know aobut he computer. Larry
sleevePAPA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sigler85GT:

First off, not looking for any 3800 is way better talk. I alreay have that covered. Or the aluminum heads are better than the iron. I am not arguing this but i like the way our cars look from the factory. For the most part. I understand the mechanical parts that are needed to mate the two together.

what hp can the stock bottom end take on the 3400?

I know the compression ratio is lowered if using the iron heads and stock 3400 pistons but what is the ratio exactly?

If you were to boost the iron heads would the intake restriction still be as big of a problem as it is NA?
And if you were to remove the fin from the heads does that matter with the boost being added?

Would the 7730 icm be a wise choice to run the engine with and will it support the 3400 stock coils?

The bottom end is pretty stout on the 3x00.

cross bolted mains
same "981" casting found in 3.1/3.4/3x00s.
powder forged rods
pistons will become the weak point with power adder
turbo 3400

removing the vane will hurt flow #s even with boost. OTOH, curtis(turboz24) built a 3.2 a number of years ago with iron heads, vane was completely removed. Turbocharged, the 3.2 put down 475whp, but that engine was built to rev to 8000 rpms(iirc).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock