Is It "DO-ABLE" ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 08-19-2013 02:28 PM
Replies: 5 (298 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 08-20-2013 03:51 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"CAN" a 2.5 Fiero AC Compressor that now has a "V" belt pulley on it be changed over to a serpentine Pulley ??? Can it reasonably "BE Done" ? ( press off ,press on)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done it a few times. Just need to have an AC clutch puller/installer tool set

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Then started working on converting the AC clutch to a serpentine version:

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I "DO" have a puller. What Clutch/Pulley (year/ model) will fit on the 4 cyl compressor ? I thought they were all V belt. Thanks
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A basic 3 jaw puller won't get the job done. It has to be an A/C puller. It threads into the outer plate, then has a threaded rod push on the shaft to remove the outer plate. Once it is removed, then you remove the C-clip and use the 3 jaw pullers to pull the pulley off it.

As for pulleys, I haven't found a GM one that isn't interchangeable so far. I used an 88 4cyl serpentine pulley on an 86 V6 compressor and a mid 90's 3.1 pulley on an 87 V6 compressor. The 3.1's were all serpentine and from 88/89 the 2.5's were as well.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Do have an AC hub puller. interchangeable, that's a good thing ! Thanks
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Had a brand new (just been sitting in the box for a year) 2.5 AC compressor. I DID swap the pulley, "Drilled" the mounting holes out, and bolted it right up to my 3800. Lines up perfect, Fiero AC Hoses bolt right up. For free, I can't argue with it ! Just had to change the "Pigtail" on the Clutch Plug.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock