Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Wanted: advice on exhaust issues on the fiero...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Wanted: advice on exhaust issues on the fiero... by rogerhudson6
Started on: 08-19-2013 02:10 PM
Replies: 6 (172 views)
Last post by: rogerhudson6 on 08-20-2013 02:12 PM
rogerhudson6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have gotten everything working with my fiero now, except for a few issues that I've left up until this point as I was too busy working on the rest of the car.

The engine makes a noticeable rattling sound when idling and driving. I have been told that this is the exhaust which has a crack, or is broken at some point. I've also been told a variety of ways to fix this, but it all depends on if there is a crack, and where it is on the exhaust... I have no idea how to check for this though, and all advice is welcome...
If it helps, I see oil splashes or leaks on the rear of the fiero's engine near the bottom, possibly from the exhaust?

while i am posting I might as well list a few other nagging issues:
1) The engine idles at a high RPM (about 1600 but approaches 1700 RPM). It hasn't actually been driven in 14 years however.
2) I am leaking transmission fluid from the tranny lines directly under the driver's side door.
3) on the passenger's side door, identical placement as the opposite side, the brake lines are rusted, but not leaking (yet). I fear the pressure from brake fluid flowing through the lines once I drain the brakes may be enough to puncture leaks in the rusted areas, but I am not sure of that yet.
4)the temperature and gas gauges are broken, or not working right now, I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting wiring and spare fuses but has not worked.

Thank you for your time.

In general, I need some advice.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We will need the year of your car and the engine.
rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 gt 2.8 l v6
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go after the high idle first. Normal warm engine idle is 950. The usual cause for a high idle on the V6 is a vacuum leak. The primary spot for a vacuum leak is the EGR tube. They crack and suck air and it's hard to see it.... you can test by loosening the bolts under the intake manifold and slipping a thin sheet of metal...a coke can strip is good...over the hole. If the idle goes down you have found the problem.
rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i found the rattling problem, I need new intake and upper plenum gaskets. there is air leaking from one of them and like you said that is driving the RPM up. so I got a couple problems solved at once.

If I have replaced seals and bearings on the front brakes, should I be changing the rear hub assembly as well?

The car has been in storage for 15 years...
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it turns out to be a bad EGR valve, I have an extra that you can have.
bb
rogerhudson6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogerhudson6Send a Private Message to rogerhudson6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate that Bruce. I will keep posted.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock