Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '84-'87 front Sway Bar, mounted at rear, stock End Link size used?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'84-'87 front Sway Bar, mounted at rear, stock End Link size used? by hdryder
Started on: 08-19-2013 07:44 AM
Replies: 19 (666 views)
Last post by: Knight on 02-24-2014 09:39 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When mounting the '84-'87 front Sway Bar on the rear of the early cars, is the stock front End Link size used, or can a shorter end link be used, since the bar is linked to the bottom of the control A-arm?

I have done a search for this subject, but did not come across the answer. Mostly found '88 End Link info with the search.

Thanks for the help.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As short as possible for ground clearance.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found it. Use a 3/8 x 4.5" grade 8 bolt, without using a spacer sleeve.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might make a difference which way you plan to mount the sway bar... facing front or back.

I mounted the sway bar with the ends towards the back of the car, and the length of the end link sleeve/spacers was no more than an inch. I don't remember the length of the bolts.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto to Patrick.
My bar mounts to the rear and I used a 1 inch spacer.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I mounted the sway bar with the ends towards the back of the car, and the length of the end link sleeve/spacers was no more than an inch.

I should've posted this earlier. A shot of the back of my '84. This has worked great at autocross for the last three years.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same thing as Patrick, except I used a 1" spacer on the frame mount to clear my 2.5" exhaust pipe.

You want the link to be high enough so if you get a flat tire, it does not hit the ground.

Arn
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mines exactly the same but with the bar mounted in reverse. 6 inch bolt with 1 inch spacer. This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My rear sway bar setup.

Not stock from front. But still set up the same.

------------------
1984 Pontiac Fiero SE Silver 2.5l 4-speed 4.10
1980 Chevrolet Citation Primered 2.5l Auto
1999 Kawasaki Drifter VN1500J Deep Gooseberry Purple
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic VN800B Candy Red

[This message has been edited by Str8lineJKing (edited 08-20-2013).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Mines exactly the same but with the bar mounted in reverse. 6 inch bolt with 1 inch spacer. This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I used to have mine in a similar position, but I found that when I was jacking the back of the car up, it interfered with the center point for jacking on the cradle. The front mount has the disadvantage of caging in your oil pan. If you want to drop it you have to unhook your anti-sway first.

Arn
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I used to have mine in a similar position, but I found that when I was jacking the back of the car up, it interfered with the center point for jacking on the cradle. The front mount has the disadvantage of caging in your oil pan. If you want to drop it you have to unhook your anti-sway first.

Arn

I recently mounted a 1986 SE front sway bar to the rear of my 1986 GT. I mounted it with the link ends pointed towards the rear of the car. As Arns85GT points out, the length of the sway bar is positioned along the rear portion of the engine cradle, but it is still possible to jack up the car from this location. The sway bar is less than an inch from the cradle and is very flexible. I just jack it up under the sway bar, but use a rag on the jack saddle so it doesn't mar the new paint. The sway bar bushing shells mount great at the back of the cradle. I tried up front, but couldn't get it to line up with the bushings in the proper location on the bar. Also, the lower control arm braces inside the cradle seemed like they might interfere with mounting bolts in that area. I drilled holes in the depression in the center of the lower control arm instead of using one of the existing holes. The existing holes didn't line up the way I wanted and mounting the sway bar ends to the center of the lower control arm seemed a better idea anyway. Used standard link end bushings available from any parts supply along with 5" long hardened bolts. Fits great, looks great and helps the handling. It does result in some overconfidence going into turns that may result in the rear end sliding around. I encountered this on a bend leading onto a freeway overpass. Exciting moment. I think that I will need better tires.
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you notice the indexing hole on the bottom of the cradle where you jack. i opened mine up just a little and made a head for my jack that inserts into it so i can now safely lift mine again.

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Arn

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Rodney dickmans 3 1/4" end link in the rear. 87gt. I installed it with nord-lock bolt securing system and a conical centering washer . A tight fit and will never come loose without a wrench. My car does not have the fiero twitch because I use the hole sway bar with no slop. Just keep everything on the same plain.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone that mounted the Sway Bar toward the front of the car with the link-ends pointing rearward, have the exhaust pipe rattling on the Sway Bar while the engine is running, due to small clearance between these two parts?

Any fix or work-around for this issue recommended?

Other than that issue, the new Sway Bar is working well.

Thanks for the help.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put a shim under your middle mounts to lower it away from the frame and away from your exhaust
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dematrix86gt

490 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Great example of a shim , just make yours thicker if needed.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

put a shim under your middle mounts to lower it away from the frame and away from your exhaust

This wider shot shows the clearance with exhaust system a little better.

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dematrix86gt & Patrick,

Thanks for that info and photos. Good idea.
What shim thickness size are you using, about 3/16"?

This first one I put on a stock '87 GT 5-speed daily driver.
Now I want to put one on a '86 2M6 with a '95 LT1 5-speed, and a '86 GT 3800 SC Series I.

Thanks again for the help.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 08-25-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hdryder:

Thanks for that info and photos. Good idea.
What shim thickness size are you using, about 3/16"?

You're welcome, glad it's helpful.

It was more like 1/4" or 5/16" plate that I happened to have on hand.

More info and pictures Here.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any way to mount the bar so that it does not hang under the cradle? I would really like to not loose ground clearance from the sway bar. Or is there a diferent swaybar with longer arms that allow the mounting of the middle mounts oneither on the back of the cradle or a bar design that allows the bar to be mounted on the top side or front facing wall at the rear of the cradle. I don't have my ccar with me to look and see there is any room.
I am going to ower my car 2 inches and i have a lot of speed bumps in my area. I am affraid of the car carshing down on top of one.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited 06-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock