Stock stereo replacement? by st88fiero
Started on: 08-18-2013 08:17 PM
Replies: 6 (460 views)
Last post by: st88fiero on 08-19-2013 09:28 PM
st88fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT has the premium sound system. In the sprit of keeping the car totally stock, and the fact that I don't need some crazy sound system in the car, I just want to swap out the stock speakers and sub-woofer to make the system work again. Right now only one of the speakers is working, all the rest seem completely dried/blown out, so I am hoping that changing out the speakers will do the trick.

Has anybody used the Rodney Dickman's sets, on their website they have, front,back and replacement sub speaker. I am thinking about buying, opinions?

Also if I do the speaker swap and it turns out to be an issue with the head unit, does anyone know where one might find a stock replacement unit. Mine has the equalizer and tape deck. I see a few out on e-bay but I am wondering if there may be anyplace else to locate.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
My88RedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get stock replacement radios from here.
http://replacementradios.co...ywords=fiero&x=7&y=6

I put in a Kenwood (KMM-100U) in my Fiero. This Kenwood has no CD player and has a short chassis and doesn't require modification to the car nor stick out towards the shifter. Sound quality is also better than the stock radio... I wanted USB & iPhone connectivity to play my music in the car.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For stock replacements, Rodney's are the best for the money.
The factory unit was designed with 10 ohm speakers, most of your aftermarket replacements are 4 ohm (which is not ideal on a head unit that expects 10 ohm).
Some on here have upgraded to the Monsoon radio (newer stock GM/Delco design with a few upgrades) with great results.
Search for the Monsoon if you must replace your head unit.
http://replacementradios.co...x.php?cPath=21_24_62

-Dave
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed Rodney's 4x10 replacements in our 88 GT. I am quite happy with them. They are also a real value. I have found others at Crutchfield but they are much more expensive.
George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Rodney's speakers both front and rear as well as the woofer. They work great!
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would personally upgrade.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pio...&hash=item3cd4838bbd

Not sure if this fits (below),looks nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-C...%3D100033%26prg%3D10 11%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D260969055320%26#ht_8478wt_1082
st88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the replies. I am ordering the RD ones tomorrow. Can someone give me clue on how to remove the speaker grills without causing any damage, and also the subwoofer, does the bottom cover just come off?. I see four holes on the face of it, but it is quite difficult for me to see it its a screw or torx head holding it on, is there any special tricks to getting it apart without causing any damage. I'm scared to touch anything in this car because it's all in great shape and i'm afraid my my caveman mentality I'm going to break something!

And for those that used the RD speakers, did you use the pigtail that he supplies?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock