Dragging Rear Brakes!! by RilesOfSmiles
Started on: 08-18-2013 07:19 PM
Replies: 7 (284 views)
Last post by: rourke_87_T-Top on 08-18-2013 09:58 PM
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up an 88 formula and when I drive it I can hear the brakes dragging . The car seems to track straight so I think its on both sides. The car sat for 2 years with the parking brake on so I thought loosening it would help because my 86 gt had the same problem. It didn't work. The brakes still drag so I'm thinking its the calipers. They don't stop the car but they clamp down enough to make noise. It doesn't really affect drivability but when something isn't perfect on my cars I have to fix it. Do you think its just the calipers needing replacement? Its a lot of money to spend and I don't want to be wrong.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the wheels and make sure the parking brake levers on the calipers have returned to the rest position. Could be the cables are sticking and not allowing the calipers to fully release.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I loosened the nut on the cable on the bottom of the car to release the cable and it still drags.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the levers on the calipers. The cables could still be stuck/binding.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I even took the levers off and they were still dragging. The tension has been completely released too

[This message has been edited by RilesOfSmiles (edited 08-18-2013).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next step would be the brake line hoses......perhaps collapsed on the inside.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
loosen the metal bracket that holds the hose. Loosen the part that goes around the hose. The metal rusts and pinches the line.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bolt slider pins may need some nice fresh lube also.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock