3800 s.c. swap won't start?? HELP!!! by pparker
Started on: 08-17-2013 06:39 PM
Replies: 9 (500 views)
Last post by: pparker on 08-26-2013 08:33 AM
pparker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need help to troubleshoot. Installed 04 3800 s.c. (Fiero/Lambo kit) with complete wiring harness, all gauges, p.c.m., h.v.a.c., etc. Turn key on cluster lights up, gauges register, h.v.a.c. works. Try to start....will not crank engine. Display says disabled due to v.a.t. I have a reprogrammed p.c.m. which supposedly eliminated v.a.t. Also have stock p.c.m. with same results. I can jump starter relay and the engine will crank. I have the all-data wiring diagrams, but am too ignorant to understand them. Any help would really be appreciated. Phil Parker 410-749-1011.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take it you wired in the starter relay then that some of the 3800's use if not VATS will only shut down the fuel after the engine fires. Are you sure the correct wires are connected at the C500 for the starter ignition power. Dan
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Peter has swapped in the entire body harness, BCM, PCM and engine wiring from his donor car.

Peter, one more plus on using that external transmission switch is that you also get the reverse switch contacts on that connector.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-17-2013).]

pparker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have spark, the fuel pump works, and I can crank the engine. however the fuel injectors are shut down. Does anyone know how too trick the pcm to turn on the injectors ?
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure your PCM has proper power for both battery + and ignition +12 volts. Dan
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what did you do to get it cranking now?

The starter relay will not work until the BCM links to the PCM sucessfully, which will require a BCM learn. (key on 10 mins, key off, repeat 3 times).
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely a VATs issue. Does the fuel pump run for two seconds if you just bump that starter? Cranking it doesn't count because then it could be oil pressure turning on the fuel pump. If the fuel pump does run for two seconds then you know the PCM is getting the crank signal. Also if you can read the cranking RPM with a scanner. A WOT throttle indication can also keep the injectors from firing. If the PCM is getting the crank signal and it's not WOT, then it's VATs.

Last I talked to Peter we talked about running the crank wire through an external transmission switch and avoiding the crank relays all together.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pparker:

I have spark, the fuel pump works, and I can crank the engine. however the fuel injectors are shut down. Does anyone know how too trick the pcm to turn on the injectors ?

You sound like you have the same problem as me (but havent had time to check yet), you may have reversed the 2 white wires going to the coil pack.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allmost forgot....Be sure to Ground The Base of your coil pack.
pparker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key learn procedure does not work. looks like I will have go see the dealer my pcm is not talking to me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock