Not getting full pad/rotor contact by Fosgatecavy98
Started on: 08-17-2013 01:49 AM
Replies: 5 (127 views)
Last post by: 88Ironduke on 08-17-2013 05:31 PM
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Put new pads up front and it seemed to brake really good at first. Then I noticed (after it had sat for a few weeks) it was pulling under heavy braking and I noticed the outside on both rotors had rust on about 50% of the surface area.

Today I took the calipers off and re-greased the sliders, as they were extremely hard to get out and I thought that was my only problem. But its still about the same.

Any ideas?

Stock brakes and worked great before I replaced the pads, but I had owned the car for about 5 years and never changed the pads and knew they were about at the end of their life.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are those long skinny roll pins that hold the pads in place OK? It sound like one may be binding.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. use must use brake grease to lube sliders.
Normal grease will swell the "o-rings" and need to replace them.

Is normal that slider need some force but really stuck then big problems.

See my Cave, Brake Service

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Are those long skinny roll pins that hold the pads in place OK? It sound like one may be binding.

Roll pin?

Its on both sides, I suppose they both could be binding. Even though its not the first brake job I did on a Fiero, I still feel like its user error somewhere.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Roll pin?

That's just on the 88 I guess, and you are probably looking at an earlier model.
88Ironduke

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88IrondukeSend a Private Message to 88IrondukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Experienced this once, the pads have little alignment buttons on the back that are "supposed" to engage the caliper body for proper alignment. Ultimately the pad was not seating flush and was instead rocking on the buttons. Only the inner 50% of the pad would make contact leaving a nice rust around the outer edge under the pad. Perhaps the buttons were a little big, possibly not 100% perfect from China or the years of driving caused the little recessed area to be full. Solution was a quick run across the grinder and remove some/all of the alignment buttons for a flush fit. Its an 88' so it has the roll pins working for you.

88Ironduke

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock