Started on: 08-16-2013 10:09 PM
Replies: 3 (139 views)
Last post by: CTFieroGT87 on 08-19-2013 11:28 AM
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could someone link me to a good thread where CV joint disassembly is detailed? I've searched in the Archives and found a thread where CoudahadaV8 showed some disassembled pictures and the explanation of hitting the outer race until the balls could be removed, but I'm tapping the outer race both at an extreme angle and also attempting to hit it straight off and I'm having no luck. Thanks for any info, I urgently need to get my axles disassembled and get my car back to roller status.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DaytonTD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did mine, they can get really stuck if you have them a certain way, I found they are pretty picky. I kept tapping all around (the inner piece and the outer cage till it got high enough to release a ball. If it wasn't moving, I hit it back down and tried again or hit it harder, although I don't recommend the latter. If possible use a softer metal such as aluminium or brass to hit it with.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clamp the outer CV housing in a vice (wrap a towel around the splines and clamp it by the shaft), then slide the axle shaft into the center "Star" piece of the CV joint and angle the star as far as possible to the side opposite one of the balls you are trying to release. Remove the axle and then use a punch to tap the star down further in the same direction until the ball is free. Tap it back to center and repeat until all of the balls are removed.

All the tapping needs to be at the outer tip of each start point, but be careful not to cause a burr on the edge.

If all you are needing is to place the outer CV housing back in the wheel bearing to keep it from coming apart, just use a bolt and a couple of washers. Then you can keep your axles sealed until you need to reinstall them. A 4" long 1/2" bolt with a couple of washers that are 1 3/4" OD works well.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-17-2013).]

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for the responses guys! Guru you're a life saver!

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd, 88 suspension, C6 polished wheels, C5 Z06 brakes, Konis, poly'd, Spec Stg 3, LED taillights, LT1 fuel injection with Megasquirt II
Next Mod: Full heim rear suspension, Koni rears
301rwhp/345rwtq
Stovebolt Powered!!!!!
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay