84 2.5 Engine Cooling question by hobodude34
Started on: 08-12-2013 06:50 PM
Replies: 7 (131 views)
Last post by: hobodude34 on 08-13-2013 12:32 PM
hobodude34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOOkkk well heres the story, got my daily driver 84 Se with stock Duke just rebuilt due to bad piston, was bored, ringed, new pistons, bearings and oil pump, water pump, radiator fan and radiator also new and all lines flushed also have tried two different distributors with same issues. The PROBLEM, going to work in the mornings temp will stay around 180-190, coming home thought will go above 210 to 220 and the engine will like to die at stop lights and even while at cruising speeds but will start right back up instantly with key off and back on but will NOT do this in the morning going to work and my commute is about 30 miles one way and the car sits about 9 hrs untill i go home. the car acts the same with or with out a thermostat. question is what could i be doing wrong here, i would like to stay around 190 on the temp.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of temperature difference (atmosphere, not engine temp) is there between mornings and evenings there?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say somethign is getting hot in the afternoon, like the coil or ignition module or whatever it has. Hard to tell if it is electric or fuel, but electric usually just dies and fuel sort to tapers off. I am thinking somethign hot in the electric end of things. Larry
hobodude34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its about 75 in the morning and evenings its around 100, ive had three different coils,distributors and injectors.
rod0708

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rod0708Send a Private Message to rod0708Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you have AC on the car if you do then your cooling fan should cut on when you cut the AC on.So you can forget that as a problem for the overheating but if you dont have AC the original fan switch on the motor is set at 210 before it cuts the fan on.Iwas having the same problem so i changed the thermostat to a 180 from the 195 and i put in a new fan switch to a 190.had to modify the relay for the fan to a later model GM with the same fan setup.but it took care of my overheating problem.As for the cutting off problem there are a lot of variables it sounds like you have tried all the things on the motor itself.So if i were to guess and thats all I'm actually doing i would look into the fuel pump and relay.
hobodude34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a/c is INOP but with a/c switch on the fan comes on and i turn it on when it gets around 190
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. 210-220 is Normal for Fiero and Many others.

2. Your problem has nothing to do w/ coolant temp.

Try take off console so ECM get allot of air to cool. If that helps then get another ECM.
See my Cave, ECM Heat

Check volts to fuel pump. ALDL pin G and ground. Should be close to battery/alt volts.
See my Cave, Electric Motors

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

hobodude34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ecm has been behind the drivers seat for a while now because i was thinking of that too but will try another ecm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock