Clutch Hose - Why Integral? by BillS
Started on: 08-12-2013 04:49 PM
Replies: 3 (143 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-12-2013 06:50 PM
BillS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never quite figured out why GM chose to make some of their hydraulic lines composite flex and hard lines, mated into one assembly so that whenever either part of them needed it, the whole assembly had to be replaced.

British lines were always steel lines to a tab on the frame an dthen a rubber flex hose from there to the brake at that corner, or clutch.

The 88 GT finally had a clutch hose leaking so that it would pump up OK but over a week or so would have the pedal drop almost down to the floor.

The transaxle doesn't move much relative to the frame, so instead of ordering a complete front to back line and hose (which thankfully are still available at $170) I just spliced a new section of steel line to the end of the old line after removing the flex portion. A few turns wound on it to allow some flexibility and it was as good as the original.

Actually it was far better than the original - I've never had as high and hard a pedal since I bought the car when it was only 2 years old!.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rubber motor mounts but hard steel line all the way to the transmission?
peteyz24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
previous owner of my car re-did mine. New steel hard line from master to engine compartment. Stainless braided flex line to connect to the slave.

[This message has been edited by peteyz24 (edited 08-12-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my cars developed a leak in the line just below the braided steel line. The garage did just what you did and put several large coils in the line to allow for flexing. Wasn't too long until It started to pull air around the fitting. As engine and transmission mounts get weak, the engine tends to move more. The final solution was to replace the braided end with Rodney Dickman's clutch line repair kit.

I believe the clutch fluid line is actually in multiple pieces, but the transition is at the front, and you need to remove the spare tire pan to get access to it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock