Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Surprised not many Ecotec 2.0 turbo swaps builds on here (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Surprised not many Ecotec 2.0 turbo swaps builds on here by j bf1
Started on: 08-10-2013 11:26 PM
Replies: 185 (10919 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-03-2014 12:09 PM
j bf1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can somebody please explain, why aren't more of you guys using Ecotec? A bone stock Ecotec 2.0 turbo has phenomenal performance 260 hp / 260 lb-ft torque + it is light weight..I also read that the motor can easily be pushed to well over 800 hp . To me it makes perfect sense....or am I missing something????? I think it was in an issue of Hot Rod Magazine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a limited number of people that are willing to be the first to try something, since such a swap would be 100% fabrication.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j bf1:

I also read that the motor can easily be pushed to well over 800 hp .

I agree with you as I love the Ecotec platform myself, but anything over 400hp IIRC requires swapping of internals on the LSJ and LNF. On the L61 its 300+ need stronger pistons/ rods and I can't recall on the LE5 but its similar.

The fact is that 3800s will hold more boost without touching internals or modifying much at all. Ecotecs are awesome for being a platform still in production with lots of support and being very light. They just aren't cheap enough to work with yet.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can somebody please explain, why aren't more of you guys using Ecotec? A bone stock Ecotec 2.0 turbo has phenomenal performance 260 hp / 260 lb-ft torque + it is light weight..I also read that the motor can easily be pushed to well over 800 hp . To me it makes perfect sense....or am I missing something????? I think it was in an issue of Hot Rod Magazine.

Let me know how yours works out. I'd need your build thread to guide me.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-11-2013).]

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not that attractive a motor for some and since the most popular Fiero has a V6 in it the trend is to continue in that direction if not add more cylinders. The character of the motor is just as important as the performance capability, I don't think you'll find many here who'll choose the sound of a 4 cyl over a V6 or V8. For street driving once you get near 400 hp in a Fiero you're pretty much at the limit of practical street use as you'll be going entirely to fast in a few short seconds relative to the speed limit.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They built 3800s to 800 hp... lets be honest you build a motoe like that how dependable will it really be? I love both motors but if I ever turbo the 3800 I'd probably crap bricks. 300 whp in a car of our nature is a lot!

Would I change my fiero yea to turbo.... i'll leave the lnf in my cobalt. I still get the wtf look from people in both cars ... yes I do drive one of those fieros and my slobalt

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
07 HHR - Wifes (tried to have her get the SS)

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
biggest reason is the fact that saving a few pounds in the motor area does not fix the fact that my honda CRX without a motor, and a fiero without a motor... the fiero is still 800lbs heavier.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

biggest reason is the fact that saving a few pounds in the motor area does not fix the fact that my honda CRX without a motor, and a fiero without a motor... the fiero is still 800lbs heavier.

Kind of sad the Fiero was built as a sports/y car yet they made them so heavy and put in a borderline underpowered engine in them.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ecotec 2.0 turbo doners not easy to find cheap....

I've never seen one in a junkyard yet

3800sc however.... Ive run across quite a few in the junkyards here
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that the Ecotec would be a wonderful motor in a Fiero...but there are a couple issues with installing it...

1. Price....as a few have mentioned, they aren't cheap to buy in stock form....and major increases in HP would require more than adding a bigger turbo.

2. Sound...again, already mentioned. Sound is an important part of the driving experience to me. I will give up HP to get the right sound, and no 4 cyl gives me the right sound.

3. Wiring...the Ecotec is a modern engine. It runs with modern electronics that requires the attachment of a BCM. A modern BCM wants to see everything from radio and HVAC information to ABS and airbags. It can be done, but it makes the project much larger than just installing an engine. Another big holdup is the fact that all Ecotec engines were sold with a Drive-By-Wire system. The 3800 Series 3 was also DBW, but you can use the Series 2 throttle body and computer to run it with a standard throttle cable and no BCM. Same thing with the 3500 and 3900....you can use an older computer that bypasses the nightmares of DBW and a BCM. The only way to do an Ecotec with a throttle cable and no BCM is to run an aftermarket ECM which will significantly increase price and the difficulty of tuning.

I would love to have a stock LNF with an F23 in my convertible...I think it would be a great combination. But...I can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost and effort by going with one of the more documented swaps.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Kind of sad the Fiero was built as a sports/y car yet they made them so heavy and put in a borderline underpowered engine in them.

A) It wasn't. B) Fiero isn't really that heavy. The weight of the Fiero is on par with pretty much every car manufactured in the last 30 years, that is about the same size, and designed for roughly the same purpose.

A lot of Hondas might weigh less, but they really have to. With the small engines they have, that produce low amounts of torque, and only do it in high RPM, they need much less weight to begin with, for the car to be able to accelerate from a stop reasonably, and to get the MPG they are rated at.

But comparing a Fiero to a Honda is also a dumb comparison. The Hondas are unibody cars, while the Fiero is a frame and chassis with bolt-on body panels. And weight is only one of a large number of variables that affect performance.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

No the Fiero was built as a economical commuter.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Same question I've been posing, jbf. Seems like a no brainer to me, especially for those that Auto-X / (legal) street race.

I've already posted somewhere, my conversation w/ a master G.M. tech who claimed to have been part of the development process of the Ecotec platform. Roger Thelin was the one who put me in touch w/ the guy. He said the swap shouldn't be much more difficult than 2.2 swap IF you get the whole donor car OR a complete dropout (DBW, BCM, harness, mounts, axles, etc).

Launch control, no-lift-shift, paired w/ several manual trans made for it (including the beloved F40 (with minor modifications)), lighter weight, superior gas mileage, lofty potential on stock components.....seems like a shoe in but people cite the cost/availability as primary issue which is VERY valid. Swap difficulty is almost equally cited as the main concern but this looks to be mostly from the fact that only one or two members here are trying or have tried it. The sound and supposed performance limitations are a personal preference kind of thing and can be modified to the heart's content w/ time and money. Someone mentioned the fact that the LNF is only good up to around 400 hp and then internals become a problem. Firstly, that's 400 whp, which is a stupidly high amount for our platform. Second, at that point, as another member mentioned, impracticality has already stepped in and usable power becomes the bigger issue. Pistons and rods are the ONLY so-called weak points (subjective) in that regard and solutions for both are readily available for those who have power applicability death wishes.

Some are going to be V8 guys till they're six feet underground, others are die-hard sixers, and others still are into straight 4's. The ones who refuse to accept technological advances and just want ancient oversized dyno queens setups share the same mentality as those who can be blamed for the downfall of the Big 3 here in the states. Refuse to give up big/small blocks and SSUVBW's. A modern large 4 or small 6 turbo diesel would run circles around a V8 in performance and reliability but masses fight tooth and nail to keep it like the "good ole days". We Americans are usually the last to "get it"...
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

1. Trailblazer - cool,
2. Slow fiero, cool,
3. CRX - Are you feeling OK?

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 3.0 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -12.05 at 111.7mph

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a great opportunity for someone to lead us all to a new, better swap for our Fieros! You would think that those who see the need would be the first to actually try to make it happen, rather than wonder why it hasn't. What's holding you back? Money? Technical know-how? Work space? I'm one that does not 'get it' and likes the 2.8....so it won't be me....

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think it's the electronics I 've done 4 LS4 swaps into Fiero's and I can get around the BCM and all the other electronics. My opinion is it's a 4 banger and an expensive swap. So if your going to spend big money on a swap go BIG or go home.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this searching the web....Check it out.

http://www.popularhotroddin...tec_20_liter_engine/

------------------
~John

'88 GT 5spd White/Beechwood
'00 Corvette vert. 6spd Yellow/Black
'05 Colorado Xtreme Black/Graphite

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by akademikjeanius:

Some are going to be V8 guys till they're six feet underground, others are die-hard sixers, and others still are into straight 4's. The ones who refuse to accept technological advances and just want ancient oversized dyno queens setups share the same mentality as those who can be blamed for the downfall of the Big 3 here in the states. Refuse to give up big/small blocks and SSUVBW's. A modern large 4 or small 6 turbo diesel would run circles around a V8 in performance and reliability but masses fight tooth and nail to keep it like the "good ole days". We Americans are usually the last to "get it"...

I think you've nailed a large part of it - the attitude of the 'Give me a V8 or Give me Nothing' crowd. They'd rather have a slower car with the 'right' sounding engine than a fsater car with a different engine. I've got I4, I6, V6, V8 and V12 cars and have always been a lot more interesting in output and engine behaviour than what format it was, but that's me.

The LNF turbo 2 litre is a marvelous engine that can be tuned to put out around 400 BHP and 400 ft-lbs before you even need to go inside it to beef up the internals. I run one in a Solstice, and with about 350 BHP in a car that touches 3,000 lbs. how does getting into the 12.9x region in the quarter sound? With 30 mpg to boot when you are driving unboosted.

The issue is as outlined by others though - Fiero owners are just to damned cheap to embark on projects with significant price tags because they are a neat prospect. Can't damnh them for that, if they can get equivalent results for less money, the option of going the more expensive path just beacuse it intrigues you isn't going to be a popular one. Maybe later on when there are less expensive core engines around...?"

There is also the not to be discounted "Having to think about fuel injection and computers makes my head hurt" syndrome to be considered. That accounts for the guys that rip off injection and use a carb when they stick a V8 into a Fiero.

Personally, I'd love to show up at a Corvette convention/show with a late 1950s C1 that originally had a 283 or 327, that had a tuned LNF under the hood with double the original power, and would hope they'd have a drag race contest at the meet. Of course they'd probably tar and feather me when I opened the hood.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always evaluated an engine swap using what you get for what you pay as the guideline. In other words the dollar cost per horsepower. There are many fine 4 and 8 cyl engines out there but the 3800SC ended up providing the best power per dollar spent. Sure 800HP turbo Ecotecs and some fine V8's have been built but if I take my horsepower figure and make a comparison cost, the 3800SC comes out ahead, admittedly with an increase in weight over the Ecotec.
There have been a few Ecotec swaps done in Fieros but the turbo and supercharged versions will cost you more than a 3800. Not saying that 3800SC is the best swap; its just a very good value for what you get and you can upgrade it economically. IMO, the reason that you do not see more Ecotecs in Fieros is simply cost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone started a Ecotech 1.8L Turbo swap - but can't find the thread anymore.
Not sure if he ever progressed beyond the engine on the cradle. Anyone?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking into doing an Ecotech swap. I've had many good years with the current 3.1, but, if I need to drop the cradle again - that V6 block is NOT going back in.
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

Ecotec 2.0 turbo doners not easy to find cheap....

I've never seen one in a junkyard yet

3800sc however.... Ive run across quite a few in the junkyards here

I own a Saturn Sky Redline with the GM Factory tune on its 2.0 turbo. It makes 290HP and 340 ft-lbs of torque. The tune also removed the torque limiter and, for the Sky and Solstice, added no-lift shift from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4, and raised the red line fuel cutoff on 1 and 2 to 6500 rpm. Oh, and I get 32 real MPG on the freeway.

It's a solid motor, despite being both the first direct injected motor GM ever put in a production car and the highest HP/liter motor GM had ever offered (at least at the time).

The same motor powers (ed?) the Cobalt SS, so there are a lot out there, and I expect we'll be seeing more available on the used market.

I'm not a gear-head and so can't say what it would take to put one in a Fiero, but from a weight/power standpoint, it would be a fun combination.

Edit to add: The torque/HP curves on these motors is remarkably flat, in part due to the small, fast-spooling turbo. They aren't at all like the S-2000 motor, which has to be run at 8000 RPM to have any fun.

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 08-14-2013).]

akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What a great opportunity for someone to lead us all to a new, better swap for our Fieros! You would think that those who see the need would be the first to actually try to make it happen, rather than wonder why it hasn't. What's holding you back? Money? Technical know-how? Work space? I'm one that does not 'get it' and likes the 2.8....so it won't be me....

Yes, my funds are, at the moment, allotted towards R.O.I. ventures so cars, let alone unventured engine swap territories, are low on totem pole. FieroFlyer has already offered to create a plug-n-play kit for the setup to make it pretty much drop in for a grand or two IF someone brings him a block/trans to use for mock up. So even if I can't do it myself, there's always that option. Hopefully he'll still be around at that point and give me a discount for bring the hardware and being the first.

Edit: My older bro is into MR2's and so we have a bet of who can bring the best in a mid-eng rwd 4 banger powered car.....Iron Duke ain't gon cut it!

[This message has been edited by akademikjeanius (edited 08-14-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Someone started a Ecotech 1.8L Turbo swap - but can't find the thread anymore.
Not sure if he ever progressed beyond the engine on the cradle. Anyone?

Becuase it was a 1.4L. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091490.html

There is no 1.8L Turbo that I know of. The 1.8L is N/A. There is apparently a 1.6L turbo.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 08-14-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by lorennerol:
Edit to add: The torque/HP curves on these motors is remarkably flat, in part due to the small, fast-spooling turbo. They aren't at all like the S-2000 motor, which has to be run at 8000 RPM to have any fun.

You're driving it wrong then. I have to say that I don't at all have a problem with running my del Sol out to 7500+ RPM. It's plenty fun.

The S2000's engine has a broad and flat torque curve. It just doesn't make a lot of torque, because it's designed to spin fast. The gearing on the transmission helps make up for the lack of torque, though. But it doesn't help with fuel economy. Instead, the LNF, is not designed to spin fast. It's designed to get the "performance" versions of GM's mid-range line-up meeting the CAFE standards. That means making more low end torque, and not pushing the engine into the double digits for RPMs. They way they do that is with smaller engines (the Ecotec family), with turbos that perform in the low end.

GM has been pumping out compact cars like crazy lately, to expand the fleet and push the average MPG up.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I've always evaluated an engine swap using what you get for what you pay as the guideline. In other words the dollar cost per horsepower. There are many fine 4 and 8 cyl engines out there but the 3800SC ended up providing the best power per dollar spent. Sure 800HP turbo Ecotecs and some fine V8's have been built but if I take my horsepower figure and make a comparison cost, the 3800SC comes out ahead, admittedly with an increase in weight over the Ecotec.
There have been a few Ecotec swaps done in Fieros but the turbo and supercharged versions will cost you more than a 3800. Not saying that 3800SC is the best swap; its just a very good value for what you get and you can upgrade it economically. IMO, the reason that you do not see more Ecotecs in Fieros is simply cost.

Dennis

I ADORE the 3800 S/C in our cars and absolutely agree w/ everything you said. Had two in the past: one had a S3 w/ bpu's (ridiculously fast) and the next w/ a stock S2 (pretty damn quick). The ONLY gripe I have w/ them is no properly geared fwd-style manny tranny exist for them and I prefer driving stick all day over autos. To be honest, though, I'll eventually have another one and, honestly, the next Fiero I buy will most likely be a clean DD 3800 S/C swapped car until I can realize my DREAM of an the LNF 2.0 with either F35 or (ideally) the F40 manual trans.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend is currently doing that swap into his Chevette...yes...Chevette...He's currently custom building an oil pan to fit
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to see more ECOTEC swaps!
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

I agree that the Ecotec would be a wonderful motor in a Fiero...but there are a couple issues with installing it...

1. Price....as a few have mentioned, they aren't cheap to buy in stock form....and major increases in HP would require more than adding a bigger turbo.

2. Sound...again, already mentioned. Sound is an important part of the driving experience to me. I will give up HP to get the right sound, and no 4 cyl gives me the right sound.

3. Wiring...the Ecotec is a modern engine. It runs with modern electronics that requires the attachment of a BCM. A modern BCM wants to see everything from radio and HVAC information to ABS and airbags. It can be done, but it makes the project much larger than just installing an engine. Another big holdup is the fact that all Ecotec engines were sold with a Drive-By-Wire system. The 3800 Series 3 was also DBW, but you can use the Series 2 throttle body and computer to run it with a standard throttle cable and no BCM. Same thing with the 3500 and 3900....you can use an older computer that bypasses the nightmares of DBW and a BCM. The only way to do an Ecotec with a throttle cable and no BCM is to run an aftermarket ECM which will significantly increase price and the difficulty of tuning.

I would love to have a stock LNF with an F23 in my convertible...I think it would be a great combination. But...I can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost and effort by going with one of the more documented swaps.

i went to the 30th with my turbo ecotec 86 GT and there was only one other ecotec swap there .it was in a indy replica and was a 2.2 N/A .a 2.2 is the cheapest ecotec swap you can do .you can now get fairly low mileage cavaliers and sunfires for under 2000.00 .get the manual tranny model and other than a welder , you have everything you need to do the swap.all ecotecs are not drive by wire .using all the original cars wiring is the easiest way to do it but not the only way .and the BCM does not care if you have the right radio , airbags etc etc .it will throw a light on for the bags but will not disable the engine because they are not there .the radio only might be a problem if you use the cavalier harness to hook up something OEM GM that did not come with the car .it is going to require a code to let it work but you will have the wrong code so the radio will not work .the engine will still run .hook your radio to the fiero harness and no problem .the LNF motors are great but the high HP ecotecs that GM and others built for drag racing were based on the original 2.2 block .change out the rods and pistons and you can tune for about 500 HP before you start having crnkshaft problems .the LNF is a different animal with DI and i have not seen any of these motors getting over the 400 HP level .stock they already run at 20 PSI of boost .also , the transmission it comes with uses axles that do not fit the fiero hubs .the best way to use the 2.0 turbo motor in a fiero is to put an F23 from a 2.2 on it and then you can use fiero axles and you dont have a jack shaft .GM is currently using variations of the 2.0 turbo ecotec as the option motor in all of their popular cars .the wreckers will be full of them in a few years .
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

I think you've nailed a large part of it - the attitude of the 'Give me a V8 or Give me Nothing' crowd. They'd rather have a slower car with the 'right' sounding engine than a fsater car with a different engine. I've got I4, I6, V6, V8 and V12 cars and have always been a lot more interesting in output and engine behaviour than what format it was, but that's me.

The LNF turbo 2 litre is a marvelous engine that can be tuned to put out around 400 BHP and 400 ft-lbs before you even need to go inside it to beef up the internals. I run one in a Solstice, and with about 350 BHP in a car that touches 3,000 lbs. how does getting into the 12.9x region in the quarter sound? With 30 mpg to boot when you are driving unboosted.

The issue is as outlined by others though - Fiero owners are just to damned cheap to embark on projects with significant price tags because they are a neat prospect. Can't damnh them for that, if they can get equivalent results for less money, the option of going the more expensive path just beacuse it intrigues you isn't going to be a popular one. Maybe later on when there are less expensive core engines around...?"

There is also the not to be discounted "Having to think about fuel injection and computers makes my head hurt" syndrome to be considered. That accounts for the guys that rip off injection and use a carb when they stick a V8 into a Fiero.

Personally, I'd love to show up at a Corvette convention/show with a late 1950s C1 that originally had a 283 or 327, that had a tuned LNF under the hood with double the original power, and would hope they'd have a drag race contest at the meet. Of course they'd probably tar and feather me when I opened the hood.

Right on, Bills. Everything you said was right on....

Engines mannerisms trump aesthetics (including sound) for me. Plus you can always change exhaust note w/ creative routing. Look at what some people have done w/ the 3800 S/C's (g)rumble.

The old I4-in-the-Stingray move would be hilarious when carb-fiends got a load of it. They'd be looking for hidden cameras because they'd bet the farm it was all one big honkin joke.

wtfb made a good point though. The engine is popping up in everything GM does now so it'll be the new 3800 S/C soon, filling scrapyards all across this great land.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The old I4-in-the-Stingray move would be hilarious when carb-fiends got a load of it. They'd be looking for hidden cameras because they'd bet the farm it was all one big honkin joke.

A nice 400 BHP LNF would be kind of fun to stick under there. You could even take a fibreglass casting of a V8 and use it as a shroud over the little 4 cylinder. No way you could disguise the sound difference, though. I like to bait my buddy that owns a Viper by telling him it would be nice if it at least had decent output, and point out that getting 500 odd BHP out of 8 litres is no accomplishment, and that 8 litres of dead stock (GMPP tuned) Ecotec would be putting out 1160 BHP, my engine would equate to 1400 and a fully tuned 2 litre would put out 1600 BHP if it were the same size as his engine. And get 30 mpg to boot.

Picture of nice small Ecotec in the Solstice:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wtfb made a good point though. The engine is popping up in everything GM does now so it'll be the new 3800 S/C soon, filling scrapyards all across this great land.

Already is... its in everything! Started I believe 07 solstice. Wouldnt believe how many wrecked cobalts I see on boards. Young kids and power not good things when mixed.

So this marks 6th year of motor. I picked my 3800sx up 98 motor for 1300 with 19k in 2003

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
07 HHR - Wifes (tried to have her get the SS)

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 08-16-2013).]

akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

A nice 400 BHP LNF would be kind of fun to stick under there. You could even take a fibreglass casting of a V8 and use it as a shroud over the little 4 cylinder. No way you could disguise the sound difference, though. I like to bait my buddy that owns a Viper by telling him it would be nice if it at least had decent output, and point out that getting 500 odd BHP out of 8 litres is no accomplishment, and that 8 litres of dead stock (GMPP tuned) Ecotec would be putting out 1160 BHP, my engine would equate to 1400 and a fully tuned 2 litre would put out 1600 BHP if it were the same size as his engine. And get 30 mpg to boot.

Picture of nice small Ecotec in the Solstice:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

ROFL!! @ V8 fiberglass casting shroud. Engines are an engineering marvel though. If GM only would've done this 10 years ago but they're the type that have to be held at gun point w/ hair-trigger actually in process of being pulled before they'll get w/ the program....AFTER they've already been pistol-whipped.

Good pic, b.t.w. Looking forward to the day when that same engine pic is one of a Fiero engine bay. I'll be toasting and celebrating like it's MY car. LOL!
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

akademikjeanius

406 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

Already is... its in everything! Started I believe 07 solstice. Wouldnt believe how many wrecked cobalts I see on boards. Young kids and power not good things when mixed.

So this marks 6th year of motor. I picked my 3800sx up 98 motor for 1300 with 19k in 2003

This is true....sad, but true. Good news for those trying to buy one for the cheapy though (a.k.a. us).

By the looks of your signature, you have the prime candidates for a frankenride.

How do you like your TC'ed 'Balt overall?
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the balt never thought I'd enjoy another car like I do the fiero. Handles freakishly well scared my friend in corners the NLS Is kinda cool to kerp the boost going full while you hit next gear.

The gearing is nice can wrap 3rd out to 100 mph. My only beef I couldn't hear turbo when I bought car so I got intake. Never got to really drive it on stock tune as I got it tuned 3 months later then waited on snow. When original owner took me for drive we had no issue hitting 130....

I just wanted to see what a 70 run felt like lol. This guy loved the car too... said he had owned camaros and a new gto stated cobalt was equal on power

cobalt drivers wheel

on hood turbo spool

Few videos didn't have gopro at strip wife got video on her phone blah..

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 08-16-2013).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
260hp out of the ecotec. That's the same as a stock 3800SC.. I would rather have the ecotec with six speed than the 3800. With an Ecotec it would make a GT a true G(Grand) T(Touring) car as the weight reduction would balance the car better give a better front/rear weight balance which would aid in handling, braking and fuel mileage. Being older I am over having to have a loud exhaust noise. Quite and fast has more class.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-16-2013).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drpends how well you keep your foot out of it... got 33 with fiero cobalt got 35 but because wing draws attention I bite guy in camaro ss wanted to go from roll wasn't good for him but on average I see low 30s mixed driving

I like them both... granted I want to turbo the 3800 though
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

Love the balt never thought I'd enjoy another car like I do the fiero. Handles freakishly well scared my friend in corners the NLS Is kinda cool to kerp the boost going full while you hit next gear.

The gearing is nice can wrap 3rd out to 100 mph. My only beef I couldn't hear turbo when I bought car so I got intake. Never got to really drive it on stock tune as I got it tuned 3 months later then waited on snow. When original owner took me for drive we had no issue hitting 130....

I just wanted to see what a 70 run felt like lol. This guy loved the car too... said he had owned camaros and a new gto stated cobalt was equal on power

cobalt drivers wheel

on hood turbo spool

Few videos didn't have gopro at strip wife got video on her phone blah..

Confirming (and great!) to know that you enjoy it so much. I figured the powertrain config would be fun but didn't really ever considered the car from a whole package concept. On paper, it specs looked really good so I just left it at the idea of snatching the motor/trans out and plopping in a Fiero. NLS was definitely one of the most appealing features to me, along w/ the launch control. It's a dragger's dream! (even though I don't race at tracks but I might once or twice if I had this setup)

Never ridden/driven in one before. Now I have to go do a test drive someone's dealership. Thanks a lot! :P LOL!

Awesome videos, btw. You'll have to put some good ones up of your's w/ current mods, if you ever find the time/energy outside of rippin' people a new one in the streets.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did one eco tech swap many years ago and was happy with the results but that was a normally aspirated swap. Now I am in the beginning stages of building a Fiero for my Daughter and leaning heavily towards an eco tech swap for her car. Only thing is I do not want her starting off driving with a turbo or SC engine so which would be the best normally aspirated engine to use along with the F23 for her car.
Also this engine would be able to be used for moch ups for mounts and such to make eco tech kits. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, sounds good, I guess now I'll just have to be patient and wait.

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

I did one eco tech swap many years ago and was happy with the results but that was a normally aspirated swap. Now I am in the beginning stages of building a Fiero for my Daughter and leaning heavily towards an eco tech swap for her car. Only thing is I do not want her starting off driving with a turbo or SC engine so which would be the best normally aspirated engine to use along with the F23 for her car.
Also this engine would be able to be used for moch ups for mounts and such to make eco tech kits. Dan

------------------
~John

'88 GT 5spd White/Beechwood
'00 Corvette vert. 6spd Yellow/Black
'05 Colorado Xtreme Black/Graphite

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page