quick question by sgosser
Started on: 08-09-2013 04:59 PM
Replies: 7 (181 views)
Last post by: sgosser on 08-10-2013 05:59 PM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently I ran my 85 gt hot and now have to do some engine work. (2.8) I was about to take it out anyway because the clutch is slipping. I called the parts store and they have a clutch kit for 80 bucks. I am wondering if I should stay away from these kits and look elsewhere like the fiero store. I will have to go as cheap as possible but I don't want junk either. The full gasket kit is around 90 bucks to. I have been slowly bringing this fiero back but I would hate to go backwards anymore. Does anyone have an opinion on an orielly clutch kit? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the clutch, or it will slipping again before you know it. It's way too much work to be back doing it again in less than a year, which you probably will.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know why the clutch is slipping? A leak in the crank seal will make any clutch slip.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know it is the clutch. Normal driving it doesn't slip. with a lot of throttle it slips a lot. A mechanic told me it was clutch. I do not have much experience with this. If it is the clutch I may get the heavy duty clutch from fiero store.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you go with a fancy after market clutch, take a look at the dozens of posts here about their failures. Seems that not all of them are well thought out and some are just plain mismatched hardware that runs into it's self inside the belhousing. If you have a stock engine there is no reason in the world to go with a hot shot clutch. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 08-09-2013).]

commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 20 years ago I had a heavy duty clutch installed in my 84 fiero.
Many many miles later it is still performing well.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice. I guess I am getting ahead of myself. I will get the engine out and get the heads worked on and look at the clutch then. I would like to do a 3400 but the advice I was given by the engine shop owner was that I would not be able to find a good one around here that hasn't been abused so he said I should stay with the 2.8. Maybe I can upgrade it a little bit. It is supposed to be already bored .030 but I do not know for sure. The guy I bought it from lied about a lot of things. He was trying to get 1200 for the car and told me it had 600 hp. That made me mad so I offered him 700. He eventually took my offer. lol I think with a good clutch and top rebuild it will be a good car. Anyway, I will read the posts on here about clutches and try to get the engine out soon. thanks again.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sgosser

111 posts
Member since May 2013
A guy stopped by offering parts from an 88. I wonder about the suspension. I do not know what has been upgraded to mine. I know the brakes are good. the 88 is a gt just like mine. Common parts maybe I should grab?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock