ECM reprogramming on 86 2.5L by BH84SE
Started on: 08-09-2013 09:10 AM
Replies: 7 (382 views)
Last post by: BH84SE on 08-25-2013 07:01 PM
BH84SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BH84SESend a Private Message to BH84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,
I am new to PFF, but have been hearing about it forever. I've had my 1984 SE for about 10 years... got it all original from the original owner. Since I got it and was using it as a daily driver for a 170-mile round-trip commute, I've had a couple problems...one of which prompted me to change the original motor for an 86 Tech4 and 5-speed trans. That worked out well, using the wiring harness and computer from te 86 and making some internal mods to make all the gauges, etc work properly.
Of course, the 86 engine/trans combo (paid only $75 for it and just dropped it right in) had it's problems. After a while the blue smoke when taking off from a dead stop got really annoying, so I decided to rebuild. Going with advice from some other folks, I got a cam from Oregon Cam Grinding and KB flat top pistoons (was mostly all the same price, so why not get a tiny performance boost?)... everything else was pretty stock, but completely machined, balanced, replaced or rebuilt.
Ok... so to the topic... Since doing the work, the fuel economy has gone from 30-35MPG to 17-20MPG and power seems to be sorely lacking. I don't make the long commute anymore, so I drive more in-town, but still the change is not really what should be expected.
I got hold of a guy at Harris Performance (also known as TBICHIPS.COM) and he said he can create a new program to match the specs of the motor, but I need to log some data for him. He said that the data logging program he normally suggests does not have an option for the Fiero chips.
Does anyone have suggestions on a different place to reprogram the ECM, or know of a data logger package (software/cable) that I can use to get the information for him?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry, I can't help.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess is your timing is way retarded. Retarded timing will kill both your power and your MPG. Did you jumper A-B when you set it to 10 deg BTDC?

Even if you did, I'd start bumping the timing advancing it until it knocks and then back it off just a bit. Turning the dist counter clockwise advances it.

------
Oh yeah - I make the cable that allows you to scan/log it. http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html The cable works with TunerPro RT. TunerPro RT can be downloaded for free and runs 100% after a 10 second nag screen. You can purchase a license to avoid the nag screen but that is never needed.

You will need the 12 pin version of the cable. $55.00 shipped to US locations.

The scanning software can tell you how much advance the ECM is adding to the static setting of your distributor but it can not tell you how much static advance your distributor is set at.

------
Ryan Gick - Sinister Performance - can burn you a chip for your cam and pistons. http://gmtuners.com - his email sp1@gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-09-2013).]

BH84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BH84SESend a Private Message to BH84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the welcome and the information!

I need to hit up my bro-in-law and see if his Snap-On data tool can download a log... I know it has the capability to do loggin, but it's not something I've ever thought about. If the cable was a little cheaper, I'd probably just jump on it, but I know parts and TIME cost money and I am sure the $55 is well worth it.

I've been driving the car for about 2 years now and have been tweaking the timing here and there, since the initial setting, so I am pretty sure it's about the best it's gonna get, but I will fiddle with it again, just to be sure. I almost think it's advanced too much sometimes, because it has decent power about 2500RPM...
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post cam specs?
BH84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BH84SESend a Private Message to BH84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, not ignoring the thread or request for the cam information... just been a busy weekend and I need to dig through my old file cabinet to see if I can locate the paperwork from the cam. I was recently looking for other stuff and I ran across the machine shop reciepts, so I suspect it's in there.

EDIT -
So, I located the reciept, found it faster than I thought... but the cam specs are not listed. I emailed the folks at Oregon Cam with the part number information asking for the specs. I think it's only 5am there, but I will post information when I get it!
Thanks for the help!

[This message has been edited by BH84SE (edited 08-12-2013).]

BH84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BH84SESend a Private Message to BH84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BH84SE

5 posts
Member since Aug 2013
I got a reply from Oregon Cam... Cam specs are:
203/210 @ .050", 260/264 adv, .410"/.425" lift(1.5:1 rocker), 112 lobe seperation

And these are the pistons:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-kb223ktm-020

BH84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BH84SESend a Private Message to BH84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any additional thoughts on this?
I have other projects and the car is running ok, so it's not a rush. I may just try data logging at some point

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock