Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Loud supercharger whine... Is there a way to reduce the noise?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Loud supercharger whine... Is there a way to reduce the noise? by MaxCubes
Started on: 08-08-2013 01:05 AM
Replies: 21 (6975 views)
Last post by: KaijuSenso on 08-23-2013 07:21 PM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK... so I have a Fiero with a 4.9 engine topped off with an Eaton supercharger with a 3 inch pulley for decent boost

Long story short, It runs real strong but the supercharger whine is LOUD

Kinda cool at first... But it attracts a little to much attention when I floor it.

hear the video....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there something I can to with the intake ducting to reduce noise without being restrictive to airflow?

picture...

I want my Fiero to be a sleeper (NO NOISE!)
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

I want my Fiero to be a sleeper (NO NOISE!)

Sorry, Fieros can't be sleepers. They look too sporty, fast, and cool. People try to race me all the time, and I'm running stock.
If you wanted to make a true sleeper, you should've bought this...

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard that the removal of the boost bypass valve (?) causes the whine to be greater, at least under some conditions.

With that exhaust, it's not going to be a sleeper, anyway.
I'd just leave it. Terrorize 'em from the get-go.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-08-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LS3......
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't really know of any ways to quite it down, without choking it either, but I will say it sounds super badass.

Originally posted by olejoedad:

LS3......

why did you post that?

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because it will eliminate the supercharger whine....
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh.... im just gonna go out on a limb here and say if you dont want the unwanted attention keep your foot out of it till it counts. Superchargers are pretty quite until you dump into them.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Uh.... im just gonna go out on a limb here and say if you dont want the unwanted attention keep your foot out of it till it counts. Superchargers are pretty quite until you dump into them.

I was thinking along the lines of this too. My 3.4" pullied 3800 didn't whine at all until WOT (my charger was very quiet overall though). I'd love to hear that car making a 2-3 or 3-4 gear pull though, I bet it sounds awesome.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Because it will eliminate the supercharger whine....

along with the cool factor the car has...

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quiet it down...what's next..."Get off my lawn..." ?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NO NO NOOOOOO!!!!! don't quiet it down. That sounds fabulous
701GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 701GTSend a Private Message to 701GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine made a cover for his sc and put a dynamat type mat on the supercharger wrapped the ductwork and put a 4in x 8in bullet muffler inline on the intake ducting. Not sure what actually worked but it is not near as loud as it was
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wear ear muffs yourself and attach a salt spreader to the back loaded up with ear plugs.. sorry just had to. I really would not change it at all!
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Back in the day" the guys running 4-71 & 6-71 blowers on big blocks found that the belt was making most of the wine. The "cure" was to drill holes in the pulley between the lugs for air to escape.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

"Back in the day" the guys running 4-71 & 6-71 blowers on big blocks found that the belt was making most of the wine. The "cure" was to drill holes in the pulley between the lugs for air to escape.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Those are totally different animals though, cog drive chargers get most of their whine from the belt meshing with the cogs. They sound cool as hell, I'd love to own one

OP- Is your charger stock and unmolested? There is a triangular silencer section under the rotors that people use a router to cut out pretty much just to increase noise.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Those are totally different animals though, cog drive chargers get most of their whine from the belt meshing with the cogs. They sound cool as hell, I'd love to own one

OP- Is your charger stock and unmolested? There is a triangular silencer section under the rotors that people use a router to cut out pretty much just to increase noise.

Duh - brain fart. I forgot these use a regular serpentine belt...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input....I guess Ill leave it alone because of the cool factor

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering, does the sound come from the top of the engine (supercharger itself) or does it come out the exhaust?

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the whining is coming from the intake

The growling... from the exhaust
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to chime in, I know my truck isn't a big 4.9 with a huge blower on it but to hear my S/C I removed a large intake baffle from the fender. If you want to try to quiet it down a little perhaps you can try to put one in, I would think something like the stock baffle only bigger if you can.

The one I removed was a large box with a sort of waffle pattern formed in the plastic sides.

A thicker/denser air filter will help a little as well.

With that said I'm with the rest - embrace the sweet sweet sound of that S/C.
PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question, yes you need to add some baffling to the intake between the air filter and throttle body to quiet it down. This would most likely hurt performance but not very noticeable.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock