My 86 Pontiac Fiero GT by Damorgan
Started on: 08-07-2013 09:21 PM
Replies: 58 (1933 views)
Last post by: Damorgan on 09-04-2013 05:11 AM
Damorgan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought my first Fiero at the age of 18, I payed 900 for it and then the same day I bought it I found out that they put fix-a-gasket in it because the heads were blown. I just rebuilt the top end of the motor at 147,6xx. It took me months to get the money up to fix it and I had turned 19 long before I got it fixed. I love this car and I have always wanted one. Its a dream of mine and I dont want to get rid of it but me being new to this car (and mechanics period as I was never taught anything) I need some help figuring out what to do to it.

My car does have the stock sound system!.... Just not hooked up and no sub... I have a lot Id like to do to the car but I lack the ability and the money, but I will say Im saving up as much as I can and piecing this car together one piece at a time. Its slammed to the ground and has some good looking 17inch wheels put on it. The interior is in pretty good shape except for minor things and the head liner, I also have a slight leak on the outside of the sunroof.

The paint on this car is awful...its ugly and Idk what the previous owner was thinking when they painted it but the spray painted and used cheap clear coat without sanding down anything, they sprayed over the factory base coat and clear

I was just looking for any advice, tips, and tricks to making it an all around better car. Increasing the looks, gas mileage, etc.

I was also kinda wondering if there were any Fiero owners on this forum in West TN near the Lexington/Jackson TN areas... Id appreciate any help that you guys could out with!

Ill put a pic up of the car and this will kinda be my build/advice page for anything I learn, ideas I have that you could point me in the right direction or anything you guys could help me out with

Thanks a million!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Damorgan (edited 08-07-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well you came to the right place! This forum is chock full of guys that know these cars like the back of their hands. If it can be done to a Fiero, chances are somebody here has done it. When I bought mine I hadn't worked on a car myself in about 25 years. In the last year I've replaced the alternator, oil pan gasket, coil, ICM, stereo including speakers, rebuilt the original headlight motors and just today replaced the entire headlight system with one out of an '87. If you have the interest and patience, you'll learn, and you'll have fun. Remember, the search is your friend

Good luck and welcome to the insanity!
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your first Fiero! I got my first Fiero in the spring of 1986. It was a gold 2M6 SE with the spoiler.

At least you got the engine back working. Is it a manual or auto? You will get a lot of advice here. Just remember the free advice is worth what you paid ;-) I have gotten a lot of incredibly useful help for the 88 GT that my son and I bought together. Kevin was really mad when he was 12 and his mother made me sell my 86 (really bad paint and had sat for 5 years). He really wanted to drive my "racer car" when he got his license. We got him the GT at the end of his junior year partly in reward for him putting in the extra effort to make Eagle before he turned 18. Kevin is like you. He is learning the mechanical stuff but school comes first.

I hope you have another car as either a daily driver or as a spare for when (not if) your Fiero is out of commission. Not sure where to start. I guess keep the things that make it drivable fixed. Check your brakes to make sure they are OK. See what kind of idle you get. If it is over 1000 RPM, you may need an EGR pipe. Those are two things that are likely to cause daily issues on a Fiero. I am guessing you have tools already. You will need a good tool box. You will stay busy with small repairs until you can save enough money to get a proper paint job.
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, you will find answers to EVERYTHING you want to know from friendly Fiero geeks on this site. My suggestions on your build, by the way my 86 Fiero SE came from Tenn., are start with mechanics; do not worry about the interior or exterior. Make the engine bay just the way you want it, and then the do the other mechanical areas, brakes, shocks etc. Then progress as by this time you will have a great feeling as to what you really have, a Fiero. Do the interior and lastly decide exterior scheme. Time and this forum are your friends. Enjoy.
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my tach does not work what so ever and I cant find anywhere of what I need to replace or check on it to get it working right. It doesnt even move, Im guessing its disconnected but its a jumble back there because my fiero is equipped with a DEI Remote Start (isnt hooked up and no remote for it) so I get lost in the electrical hook ups, sensors, and hoses and wires back there in that little area.

Also it is an Automatic (wish it was a 5 speed my first vehicle was and this is only my 2nd vehicle) also I only own the fiero because Ive had to buy all of my own vehicles and money is tight for a 19 year old college student with a crap job (that is bound to improve soon though)

I really appreciate you guys replying. Ive worked a lot of things over new water pump, full tune up (only exception the distributor cap and rotary buttons) rebuilt the whole top end, replaced the air filter and some other small things. I just have tons of ideas but I dont have much know how to do it all but hey Im a quick learner and any help puts me on the right path.

Also what do you guys think of the look of the car? Just curious
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure a remote start is something I would entertain. I do electrical stuff for a living and auto electrics are best left as close to stock as you can get.

A good camera and taking pictures to post here will help us help you. If you can afford it at some point, buy the real Pontiac shop manual. Mine has been invaluable. Think of it as yet another repair part for your car. Since you are having electrical issues, an inexpensive Digital Volt Meter should be on your list. Radio Shack has a reasonable one if I remember correctly.

Not sure if you have Autozone in Tennesee. If so, they have a feature that lets you "borrow" tools. You pay full price, but then you bring it back and they totally refund your money. It has been great for things you use once or twice in your life. The latest for me was the tool to rotate the piston back in on the rear Mazda 3 brakes. I hope I sell the car before I need that tool again!

I agree that keeping the mechanical stuff going and the electrical is the most important place to start. Good looks does not matter if it doesn't move! That is exactly the plan for my MGB that is my other project: get it back mechanically and then take the engine, trans, and interior out and get a full paint job *after* it is is otherwise running.

The tach is driven by the ECM, so it is likely disconnected as you guessed. This is a place where the shop manual helps. The colors of all the wires show up in the wiring diagrams so you can follow each end of the wies and see if things are hooked up right. I'm not sure if my 88 wiring diagram is likely to be the same. My wiring diagram shows a white wire going from the ignition coil through a filter (unkown location) and then a white wire that connects to pin 18 of the printed circuit in the instrument cluster.

Take the top/back off the instrument cluster (Torx T10 screws) as well as the front clear plastic. You can then see the printed circuit on the back. That is also where you get to the lights for the instrument cluster to replace them. The wiring diagram says that the Tach is solid state. I am going to take that to mean that it has some electronics inside that make it actually move the dial. My diagram shows pin 18 as the top left wire on the vertical plug. the horizontal plug only has 12 pins. If you can borrow (or buy) a meter, you can take the dash apart so you can get to the connections and measure the voltage between pin 18 and chassis (ground). You should see a voltage that moves up and down with engine RPM.

BTW, I have an automatic and I am happy with it. The car is still the hottest thing I own. As the line from the movie Pretty Woman goes: this thing corners like it is on rails!

The paint job is *interesting*. Not a color I would choose, but ask my wife about my taste in such things :-)

You sound very capable. I learned a lot like you. I had no real mechanical training but learned from my Dad over the phone after college. I called my Dad long distance from Indiana to Texas a lot asking how to fix one thing or another on a 68 Chrysler New Yorker. Learned how to change valve cover gaskets, change oil, change spark plugs with two universal joints and two extensions because the plug was in line with the steering column, how to change drum brakes, etc. I'll send an IM with contact info so you can get in touch if you need to talk through an issue.

[This message has been edited by Ray_and_kevin (edited 08-07-2013).]

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My electrical seems fine, I just have tons of wires hanging in the interior and Idk where they go, tons of harnesses unplugged and Idk what they are for. I have no running electrical issues or power drains but I wish I new what everything went to, I guess itll be a good old game of tracing. I may need to check and see if any are hot but Idk. My car (other than the stock sub under the passenger side dash and its wiring) is wired for a system (Power wire with fuse block connected to the battery and RCAs someone left in the car) and Im not sure if some of the wires have to do with that also under my dash (Ill post some interior pics tomorrow if I get the chance it looks like a battery with a wire coated in glue or something is just hanging under the dash. Im missing tons of fuses and its just a pain

One more thing is that I need the clip for my shifter to hold into place and I need a new switch for my decklid release ( I crossed the wires over and the solenoid for the release still works its just a faulty switch)and that other than replacing the sub and figuring out all of the wires are my only real electrical issues...as of now! lol
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damorgan

93 posts
Member since Aug 2013
oh and the paint...yea Id probably never ever choose that, Id love to get it painted but due to the conditions in which it was painted and everything I was told that no shop would touch it start to finish for less than $4500 (Ive got a buddy that works at an auto body shop)

I really am appreciating the help you guys are already offering though it means a lot as I have to try and figure all of this out on my own and most of the time if I need help around here I have to twist arms

and in my town we have an Autozone, O'Reillys, Napa, and a few mom and pop part stores not including that I have access to a full shop down the street from my house. Not the best shop but its a place to work, I just have to supply my own tools.
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damorgan

93 posts
Member since Aug 2013
I feel like Im blowing this forum up....but oh well Im new to it and Im full of questions and just wanting to trouble shoot

Ok one big thing is that I am running rich. I also noticed that my gas mileage is very poor, Im averaging about 10 MPG on a stock 2.8 with a fresh tuneup and new air filter. Its also a lowered car...

Also whenever I get on it and floor the gas, I sputter very badly and I can tell that Im losing a lot of power and I think that I may be dumping fuel when this happens but Im not sure. I havent figured out yet quite why Im sputtering but I was told to get better plugs (for higher heat range to burn ethanol, being as ethanol requires a hotter spark to burn more efficiently) and I was told to replace my ignition coil, so Im planning on getting an MSD blaster ignition coil for added power, better throttle response and hopefully better fuel economy

Edit: One more issue and sorry if Im just piling them on here I just have tons of kinks to work out and I dont want to forget any of them (doubt I will lol) my AC doesnt work at all and my car constantly is blowing heat, is that common? I think the compressor may be seized because there is no belt on it and one of the metal lines that runs under the car is some how crushed... again Im sorry if Im posting too much, I just have quite a few questions and Im so eager to have this car looking and running better than it did in 86..Its a beautiful car with a lot of potential and this car is a dream of mine, thank you guys so much for any help!

[This message has been edited by Damorgan (edited 08-08-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Damorgan:

One more thing is that I need the clip for my shifter to hold into place and I need a new switch for my decklid release ( I crossed the wires over and the solenoid for the release still works its just a faulty switch)

Fiero Store carries them and they are pretty reasonable .....Here

I have personally ordered this part and it works great....looks good too. The only bad thing about these switches is that when the lights are on...they light up but the light is so bright and the plastic of the switch is so thin that the light "leaks out" all over the switch. I have learned to live with this
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

92wastheyear

418 posts
Member since Jun 2013

.....sorry if Im posting too much,

As long as you keep it in this thread ....post as much as you like. If someone is tired of seeing it they will just ignore the thread (not me)

PFF
System Bot
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the info on the fiero store, I guess Ill wait until this coming up paycheck and spend some money. It kinda sucks that the light leaks on that part but maybe I can do something about it....like pull the old one apart..hmm

[This message has been edited by Damorgan (edited 08-08-2013).]

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While browsing this morning. Hope you're not tired of it already!
http://lexington-tennessee....ero-gt-iid-534883589
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol not tired of it at all, I just put it up there to get my girlfriend to be a little happier, she wants me to get a z71 (Ive wanted one for a long time myself) I dont plan on getting rid of this car but I was just entertaining the idea of trades. Just to see what Id get offered on my car. Theres also a notchback for sale in my are in pretty great shape if anyone wants a link to it here it is
85 Fiero

theres also a few more that Ill post up and if anyone wants to ride out and look at them, Id be happy to meet up with you shoot the **** and look at some fieros

84 Fiero Drag

Ive found quite a few more if I can help anyone find say a project fiero or a certain year... Just let me know, also has anyone checked out the Fiero Factory? Id like to drive down there and have a look around at all the cars and what not...

[This message has been edited by Damorgan (edited 08-23-2013).]

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone else have any comments about any of my other problems? Im searching them up, I just think any and all input is helpful. Thanks a ton for anyone that has or anyone who will help me out.
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure I can help much on the sputtering. It sounds like something is making it run rich. That can be a lot of things. It usually means holes in the intake or sensors that are getting bad information. Are you getting any codes? Do you know how to check the codes if you get a check engine light? If you are getting that bad gas mileage, I would guess that you have to be throwing codes and getting a Check Engine light.

BTW, go to the top level of the forum and check your private message area occasionally.
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alright mate, will do and I dont have a check engine light on, I havent had one throw since I changed my water pump. Well it did once but I drove the car for an hour straight. I may have to get it hooked up and look and see whats up
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

Fiero Store carries them and they are pretty reasonable .....Here

I have personally ordered this part and it works great....looks good too. The only bad thing about these switches is that when the lights are on...they light up but the light is so bright and the plastic of the switch is so thin that the light "leaks out" all over the switch. I have learned to live with this

I bought one to replace my old switch that was all scratched up. I had the exact same problem but I carefully painted the inside of the plastic black, and now no light shines through. The only problem is that the light still shines bright through the car part of the switch, but still.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I bought one to replace my old switch that was all scratched up. I had the exact same problem but I carefully painted the inside of the plastic black, and now no light shines through. The only problem is that the light still shines bright through the car part of the switch, but still.

I was thinking of doing something like that also ....but I was concerned I would break the switch taking the plastic part off. Did it come off easily?

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

I was thinking of doing something like that also ....but I was concerned I would break the switch taking the plastic part off. Did it come off easily?

Yes, it came off pretty easy. Do you still have your old switch? If you do, you can practice taking that one apart. If memory serves correctly, there's two little black tabs on both sides of the switch in the middle that allow to gray plastic piece to taken off when pressed in. And be sure to use a REALLY fine paintbrush. It's totally worth painting.

------------------
-1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
*October 2, 2012
------------------
"You have a right to be proud."

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may try that out and see how it goes, thanks!
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the finished product. It looks so much better with the inside painted, as you can tell. I sadly didn't take a "before" picture to compare, but you get the idea.
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That doesnt look half bad, but does the switch seperate from the actual mechanism? Because If so couldnt I just use the cover from the old stock switch??
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because If so couldnt I just use the cover from the old stock switch??

I think you can.....you just have to be really careful.

BTW ...the relay for those switched are pretty cheap too...if you get the new switch, I would get a relay also

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 08-12-2013).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the gray plastic switch comes off of the mechanism. And you should be able to switch out the switches. I painted the inside of the new one because my old switch was super scratched and stuff. But it's up to you of course
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine isnt really in that bad of condition so I may try that out, I just wish I coud figure out a way now to get my heat to not blow constant :/ but thanks a ton on that I appreciate it

[This message has been edited by Damorgan (edited 08-13-2013).]

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note for anyone who follows this thread or is just stopping in for that matter, my girlfriend is going to be lending me her camera so I will be taking quite a few pictures of my car to post here. I think that you guys might like to see my car and I have been doing some clean up on my car today...I did find a dirt daubers nest inside my headliner...not sure of how Im getting it out but I guess Ill be getting to that tomorrow. I did some wire hiding today and found bukus of cut wires, disconnected switches and everything else so I think I may have some down time either tomorrow or thursday to do some wire tracing

I deffinitely look forward to any future comments and assistance any of you guys can lend me. Also for any of my aforementioned issues that havent been answered yet if youd be able to answer I would greatly appreciate that. Im just trying to learn more about this car and get this thing in tip top shape...Primary worry atm on interior mechanics is the steering column and ignition switch, but stay tuned for pictures and updates on anything that Im doing to the car!

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damorgan

93 posts
Member since Aug 2013
oh and btw 92, where is the relay located at? I appreciate the advice I was just wondering where it was located and also the benefit of replacing it? I mean I have tested the trunk release to see if ti worked by crossing over 2 wires on the back of the switch and the trunk released like a charm for the first time in many years Im sure
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oh and btw 92, where is the relay located at? I appreciate the advice I was just wondering where it was located and also the benefit of replacing it? I mean I have tested the trunk release to see if ti worked by crossing over 2 wires on the back of the switch and the trunk released like a charm for the first time in many years Im sure

As I recall the replay is located under the dash on the passenger side ....however the way you tested it, sounds like you went thru the replay (and it probably works).

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tested it directly on the backside of the switch itself to make sure all the components work and to make sure all I had to replace was the switch, I do appreciate the input though any input means a lot

Also under the passenger side dash the thing I mentioned that looked like a battery covered in hot glue, I saw that it is a chip with a few wires running to it with a capacitor and a few other odd and ends attached, I tried moving it up into the dash but it cut out the dash speakers all together so now Im planning on just electrical taping it to the inside of the dash, Im getting a camera tomorrow so pictures galore are bound to come very soon

Edit: when the piece is moved back to its free hanging position the speakers still work its just when moving it up the speakers cut out ( i believe its a wiring issue as this may be an integral part of the speaker system, also does anyone have issues with major static when their radios are turned up very loud? My sound starts cutting out all together when my raido is turned up past 35 (max volume is 50)

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's an amazing photo at the top of this thread! Is that you or the girlfriend? More pictures like that, please! Maybe you should send that to the TFS calendar site.
PFF
System Bot
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't quite take the time to read all the posts, but I read your first one.

First off, welcome! And when they say its madness, there's a lot of truth to that. I'm like you, bought my first Fiero this year. I don't have a lot of experience in mechanics outside of basic routine things, and I'm 28! But you learn so much on this forum. The biggest thing I've done so far is replaced the valve cover gaskets, but I only see my car about once every 3 months on a long weekend. I have a vacuum leak somewhere now that I've replaced the gaskets, but researching on here i think I've pinpointed the issue and I'm ready to get home to fix it!

I will take the time to read through this thread and keep up with it, as it sounds like we're in the same situation. Good luck!!
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 - Thats my baby lol I thought about turning it into the calender site as I read on that earlier today, I appreciate the comment. My fiero needs tons of work though and Im more than willing to get it into good shape again, I love feedback on my car. It means a lot to me to hear positive and even negative things as it gives me ideas, I just take it all with a grain of salt and move onto making this car better and better each day!

rice.1 - I appreciate you wanting to follow this thread, I hope you get your car in the shape you want it and wish you the best of luck with it all, maybe some of the guidance I get here will help you out in the future and maybe anything that you learn you could help me out with as my car does have some problems, I do appreciate any and all feedback and that positive attitude is one thing I love about this forum that Cliff has put together for all of us enthusiasts to enjoy and learn from. Ive learned that there is a ton of collective knowledge and ideas on this forum that I love reading up on! I hope that both of us hit that learning curve and roll with it!
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The heat always on probably has something to do with the slide control. I don't know if it's connected by wire or vacuum control, but your going to have to take the dash and or at least the radio surround off to get to it.
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lornes, Ill be looking into that would you know where a diagram for that might be at that I could look at or any literature? I really appreciate any help thank you again!!
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so I was given a camera today so as soon as I get it charged and get off work Ill be bringing the pictures that I promised! Thannks to all for being patient with me and to those that are following this thread, also I still have some unanswered questions to anyone who would care to try and answer them..I still havent figured how to hook my tach up yet
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys here are the pictures I promised...sorry Ive been away for a bit Ive had some stuff going on lately thats made me just not want to do anything..but I promised pictures so pictures you get

Looks like its running a little rich eh? Ok so those are the exterior body pictures, next post is going to be engine bay pictures and then interior pictures
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damorgan

93 posts
Member since Aug 2013

I think this is why my tach doesnt work :/

Ok up front

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damorgan

93 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Ok now for the interior pictures..

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember to check, or make a request, for parts on the "mall" section of this forum. The PFF members are very generous and will save you a lot of time and money chasing down the wrong part at a parts store. And there are always freebies from some of us who hoard Fiero parts.
Best regards,
bb
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay