Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 fiero gt 2.8 stock. What are cheap DIY upgrades for air intake, throttle body

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 fiero gt 2.8 stock. What are cheap DIY upgrades for air intake, throttle body by FieroGT-987
Started on: 08-07-2013 08:58 PM
Replies: 16 (2546 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 08-08-2013 11:37 AM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please help with some cheap DIY mods
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing that will do anything except in your imagination. Just save any money you have to do a swap, nothing worth while is eiher cheap or easy, if it was the factory would have done it long ago. Larry
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well what about an air intake. I want any little extra pony or torque or sound I can get outta it. Thanks
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

Well what about an air intake. I want any little extra pony or torque or sound I can get outta it. Thanks

Sorry to be rude, but there is no way it will help. It has been proven.

Now, you can mod your upper intake, go with an after market setup From Truleo, or complete engine swap. Sorry, but we own anemic 2.8's.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone please help me with an upper intake mod.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mask it off and paint it, that will do as much good as anything you can do for cheap. Larry
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read on here about knocking out the water separater out of the quarter panel air pick up....it's supposed to allow more sound to come out....i don't know what kind, as I've never tried it.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say to hog out the exhaust manifold and leave everything else alone.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest and best performance modifications are to the exhaust side......remove the stock exhaust manifolds and port them to remove the excess metal that restricts flow. Remove crossover, cut at the junction of the two pipes and port and reweld.

Now that the exhaust is opened up, remove the upper plenum and look at the restriction in the airway immediately after the throttle body. It is possible to remove the restriction by cutting it out and welding in a piece of tubing. While you are at it, port match the upper/middle and lower intakes.

The intake system is capable of supporting more airflow than the 2.8 (even modded) will ever need. The separator can be replaced with a section of tubing, the noise level will change somewhat, but no real performance gains will be realized.

Hope this helps, enjoy your car.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 08-08-2013).]

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a cold air I would sell $45 shipped. I didn't use it. It won't give you more power but they create some sound.

I also have a upper plenum that the neck has been enlarged and I kept the EGR port on it. I'm taking the paint off it so someone else can powdercoat or paint it the color they like and then I'm going to list it for sale. Do a search for "Dawg's performance intake" These do work to give more power but cheap it isn't. As mentioned above, any legitimate power is not cheap unless you can hog out the exhaust logs and y pipe yourself, and do porting and gasket matching.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

I've read on here about knocking out the water separater out of the quarter panel air pick up....it's supposed to allow more sound to come out....i don't know what kind, as I've never tried it.

Makes more noise, so it must add HP

Just live with the 135-140 HP 2.8 or spend $$ and spend $$ for a bigger engine.
PFF
System Bot
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO get an MSD Blaster Ignition coil (its only like $45 at autozone) then get NGK or any platinum series spark plug (higher heat range that will burn the ethanol better being as the fiero spark plug came out with a heat range of 2 versus newer vehicles that are made to run on ethanol having higher heat ranges.) Replace your plug wires with some better wires, and if you want to spend a little more money buy the box to go with your coil for a constant spark. The end result is you should gain more throttle response, a little more WHP and fuel economy should improve. Now I could be wrong, but thats what Im going to be doing to my stock 2.8
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried a MSD ignition coil and it didn't make any difference over a GOOD stock coil. I'd go with a good OEM replacement like Delphi if you do anything.

The cheapest upgrades have already been mentioned - the restriction just downstream of the throttle body, and the exhaust. The exhaust porting will gain you a good 5 hp or so and it's essentially free but it can be a lot of work, especially if your bolts are rusted.

If you are willing to dig a little deeper you can throw a cam into it. The stock cam was pretty good but it's probably well worn by now since the engine has flat tappets. This won't gain you much without opening up the exhaust and intake though.
I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

Please help with some cheap DIY mods

If you can get some ported exhaust manifolds - get 'em. I have a set I can sell you cheap. If you can gut your CAT and get a 'performance chip'- do that. You may also want to consider an upgrade to 8mm Taylor sparkplug wires too.

Then get a ram air cold induction setup going. Use metal intake pipes and run them from near under the car on the drivers side to your intake (plenum) manifold with a K&N filter. Or get one of those side vent jobs done and run the intake tubing from there. I ran mine under the car and it worked and sounded great! Cheap and effective...Your car WILL breathe AND run better...It will hit redline easily in every gear if you want and shift smoother, plus sound AWESOME (more so with Ansa type resonated tips)!

I know what I'm talking about from personal experience. My car is an 85 GT w/4 spd that I've owned for 20 years and the above cheap 'mods' were the absolute best bang for buck I got out of my car. I can run down a LOT of other supposedly more powerful cars and can hit redline in 4th at 145 mph!

Cheers

P.S. - Don't neglect your suspension -- Upgrade to some performance lowering springs to keep your ride firm and safe!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EIB...em5aed6639ca&vxp=mtr

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 08-08-2013).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can do this air can mod but you have other choke points... Modified my stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for my 3800na

I'm going to ignore the word "cheap" and just give you some examples. If you can port your own throttle body or weld, then "cheap" is relative...

This is why the upper intake is your first issue: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/122059.html#p8
So lets look at your intake options:
Dawg makes a modified intake with ported throttle body: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/051596.html
I recommend Trueleo, but they are on hold (hope you are healing well Francis T): http://www.trueleo.com/Fierointake.htm
You could try to fabricate something your self: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127407.html

You are going to get lots of opinions with your question. I suggest using the search function and spending a week reading every thread to see what you can or can't do based on skills/money. This is the search results for "intake'

After the intake/throttle body, you have to deal with the stock exhaust logs. You either weld and port them or go with headers.

People on here are going to tell you to do a swap rather than beef up your 2.8L. I agree with that IF you are buying off the shelf parts to bolt on. If you buy off the shelf parts, you could be putting the money into a swap... Of course if you are buying off the shelf parts for the 2.8L, you are probably going to be spending more money on the swap by buying off the shelf parts making it a wash...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 08-08-2013).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bored my throttle body to 57mm (i think it was?) and the neck opening to match.
I also cut the neck to remove the restriction there (like the Dawg mod above)
I then gutted the upper plenum to remove the "runners"

was alot of work. I would not do it again. and in fact, I am planning on replacing all that work with the intake setup from a 3.4 camaro.
and that is assuming I dont just scrap the POS 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6 for a modern 4 banger which puts out more for less.

I have ported heads.....headers....7730 ecm....4.10 final drive 4 speed.....Its ALOT of fun.
but, todays 4 bangers will do that out of the box.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lighten your car. Two hundred pounds reduction can be felt by seat of pants. Especially braking

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock