A/C o-ring lubrication by masospaghetti
Started on: 08-06-2013 02:52 PM
Replies: 5 (964 views)
Last post by: masospaghetti on 08-07-2013 10:54 AM
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that it's a BAD idea to use Ester or PAG oil to lubricate o-rings during installation, and that mineral oil is the right stuff.

My question is - why can't a generic light oil (motor oil, ATF) or another petroleum type product (vaseline) be used? Isn't the purpose of the oil just to allow the surfaces to slide, so the o-ring isn't torn during installation?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really think it doesn't matter, as long as whatever you use doesn't dissolve the O-ring.
I wouldn't think there would be enough of whatever you use to contaminate anything.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My AC shop told me to lube the O rings with the same oil you put into the compressor.

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

My AC shop told me to lube the O rings with the same oil you put into the compressor.

That's what me do.

Kevin
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They make a special lube called Nylog. I've used it on all my AC seals on every vehicle I've worked on. I pull vac on the systems then let them sit overnight and haven't had one leak yet. I would not use the the compressor oil. I don't know if the oil is good or bad, but I know this stuff works.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the theory is something like this: You don't want to use a hydroscopic oil (like PAG or Ester oil) to lubricate o-rings, because these oils will attract moisture and cause corrosion at the fittings.

I've heard of Nylog but don't have any handy. I do, however, have a ton of other lubricants, which is why I was wondering how important the oil type is. Will regular motor oil react poorly with refrigerant?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock