Started on: 08-05-2013 01:39 PM
Replies: 4 (199 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 08-06-2013 07:56 AM
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 3 turn 84 rack that I was going to rebuild, but I broke the housing getting the pinion out (forgot the snap ring-DOH!). I also had a 3.5? turn rack from an 86 SE, so I rebuilt that and put the 3 turn rack and pinion in it. Now it feels kind of "ratchety" when I turn it (on the bench) unless I lessen the preload to the point the nut is barely engaged in the housing. Was putting the rack and pinion from the 3 turn rack into the 3.5? turn housing a bad idea? Should I put the slower rack and pinion back in? Will pulling the preload bushing out and rotating it 180 degrees help?

Oh, and what's up with the bigger, short bushing in the left end of the rack? what does it do?

Has anyone experienced this?

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my only guess is being the pinion for the 2 different racks has different amount of teeth, it may be different size/diameter as well.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct. I'm using the rack and pinion from the faster rack.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody? Should I put the slower rack and pinion parts back in?
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience has been that all racks are a bit "ratchety" when uninstalled. The combined effects of the weight on wheels and the large diameter steering wheel smooth out the perceived motion when installed.

It is definitely best to set the pinion pre-load to factory specs.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock